Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man oh man! People just don't understand the extent of IBS eh! I was at work today and I had an attack when someone asked what was wrong I told them my IBS was acting up and they just laughed and told me to get some x-lax. Then the whole office teased me while I was in absolute pain. People can be so insensitive and so un-understanding! Even my family think it is nothing, why can't people just be understanding and offer support? I guess they just don't understand!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had similar experiences, and it can be hard.
Some people can be sensitive, and others can't. Just remember... we're always here for you, and we know what you're going through.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had similar experiences, and it can be hard.
Some people can be sensitive, and others can't. Just remember... we're always here for you, and we know what you're going through.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dear Bluesclues I am so sorry to hear that your work colleges are giving you such a hard time :love: . I was diagn a month ago with IBS-D and GERD. Previously I was spending alot of time off work and when in work alot of time in the bathroom
They used to give me a hard time and said it was nothing just an excuse. Once I was diag I found the wonderful guys and girls on this site and downloaded alot of the links. Then I took them into work and showed them. It helped alittle, It wasnt a miracle as in I got loads of support or understanding but it helped in the fact that they understand a little better of what I go through. The only real total support I have is the guys and girls on this site who I have to say are wonderfull :love: . It might be worth trying to take info in and show them.
I hope it helps. If not chin up and you always have the BB for support and total understanding.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dear Bluesclues I am so sorry to hear that your work colleges are giving you such a hard time :love: . I was diagn a month ago with IBS-D and GERD. Previously I was spending alot of time off work and when in work alot of time in the bathroom
They used to give me a hard time and said it was nothing just an excuse. Once I was diag I found the wonderful guys and girls on this site and downloaded alot of the links. Then I took them into work and showed them. It helped alittle, It wasnt a miracle as in I got loads of support or understanding but it helped in the fact that they understand a little better of what I go through. The only real total support I have is the guys and girls on this site who I have to say are wonderfull :love: . It might be worth trying to take info in and show them.
I hope it helps. If not chin up and you always have the BB for support and total understanding.

·
Registered
759 Posts
There will always be people like that... unfortunately. I have never had to deal with people laughing at me because of this; I think I would not handle it in a good way. My family is very supportive but sometimes I get the usual "go to the bath before we leave home, etc" and I tell you that I am very firm with what I answer to them because it gets on my nerves. Get some information for your boss. Do not mind what the others say as it is stupid to be laughing at another person's pain. And hey!, here we do understand.

·
Registered
759 Posts
There will always be people like that... unfortunately. I have never had to deal with people laughing at me because of this; I think I would not handle it in a good way. My family is very supportive but sometimes I get the usual "go to the bath before we leave home, etc" and I tell you that I am very firm with what I answer to them because it gets on my nerves. Get some information for your boss. Do not mind what the others say as it is stupid to be laughing at another person's pain. And hey!, here we do understand.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Isn't it amazing how some people can call themselves adults but continue to act like 12 year olds ? Actually, I know a few 12 year olds who are more mature than some adults.I am sick and tired of other peoples opinions about my health. They do not have to live in my body. My new attitude: make no excuses,live the best you can and go forward. If I'm sick ,I'm sick. If someone else can't understand or doesn't believe it's real ,that's their problem.If people laugh at you because you are sick,laugh back at what fools they are. Lin

·
Registered
693 Posts
Isn't it amazing how some people can call themselves adults but continue to act like 12 year olds ? Actually, I know a few 12 year olds who are more mature than some adults.I am sick and tired of other peoples opinions about my health. They do not have to live in my body. My new attitude: make no excuses,live the best you can and go forward. If I'm sick ,I'm sick. If someone else can't understand or doesn't believe it's real ,that's their problem.If people laugh at you because you are sick,laugh back at what fools they are. Lin

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYII just want to say that Mike's non-hypnosis tape, the IBS Companion, for friends and family members who don't have IBS is excellent and made quite a few people on this bb cry when they heard it. Other then Molly's brochure, it is I believe the only thing out there to explain IBS to those who don't have it. Mike 13 years of working professionally with IBS patients has allowed him,in my humble opinion as an IBS sufferer of 30 years, some in depth insight and perscpectives, in understanding accurate information on IBS, its symptoms, testing,living with it etc., even though he does not personally have it.I highly recommend this and I highly recommend even if you don't invest in this that you try to do your best to explain IBS to those around you for yourself and for them.Work can be a little tougher, but the outcomes for explaining it at work 90 percent of the time probably works out for the best. If it doesn't it maybe time to move from that job (I know this is a lot easier said then done, especially in todays economy), but in the long run if its done right it may save you years of your work actually adding to a persons problems.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYII just want to say that Mike's non-hypnosis tape, the IBS Companion, for friends and family members who don't have IBS is excellent and made quite a few people on this bb cry when they heard it. Other then Molly's brochure, it is I believe the only thing out there to explain IBS to those who don't have it. Mike 13 years of working professionally with IBS patients has allowed him,in my humble opinion as an IBS sufferer of 30 years, some in depth insight and perscpectives, in understanding accurate information on IBS, its symptoms, testing,living with it etc., even though he does not personally have it.I highly recommend this and I highly recommend even if you don't invest in this that you try to do your best to explain IBS to those around you for yourself and for them.Work can be a little tougher, but the outcomes for explaining it at work 90 percent of the time probably works out for the best. If it doesn't it maybe time to move from that job (I know this is a lot easier said then done, especially in todays economy), but in the long run if its done right it may save you years of your work actually adding to a persons problems.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I can totally relate to this. At the risk of plugging my own website (which is non-profit and very amateur-like but hopefully useful) I have an archive of quotes said to IBS people by non-sufferers. Maybe you could submit some to the archive to help get it off your chest? My favourite one so far is "I had that last weekend..."The quotes archive can be found at the link below. All submissions welcome (the site also carries people's IBS stories).

·
Registered
624 Posts
I can totally relate to this. At the risk of plugging my own website (which is non-profit and very amateur-like but hopefully useful) I have an archive of quotes said to IBS people by non-sufferers. Maybe you could submit some to the archive to help get it off your chest? My favourite one so far is "I had that last weekend..."The quotes archive can be found at the link below. All submissions welcome (the site also carries people's IBS stories).

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I second Eric's suggestion of Mike's companion tape. It is the very best thing for explaining IBS to those who are lucky enough not to have this disorder. He very eloquently puts into easy to understand language what it is like to be an IBS sufferer. I highly recommend it. It was probably made more for family and close friends to give them a better understanding, but if the need arises I would have absolutely no qualms about having co-workers and/or supervisors listen to it.You are right about one thing....the only people who really understand what living with IBS is like are the people who live with IBS. As sympathetic or understanding as your family and friends might be, they can never understand what it is really like. It is also sad that people tend to make fun of things they don't understand. Unfortunately due the embarrassing nature of this disorder you really have to develop a thicker skin, so to speak. Otherwise your feelings will be constantly hurt. People who make fun of and tease a person in pain are obviously obnoxious, insenstive idiots and not worthy of you giving them a second thought.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I second Eric's suggestion of Mike's companion tape. It is the very best thing for explaining IBS to those who are lucky enough not to have this disorder. He very eloquently puts into easy to understand language what it is like to be an IBS sufferer. I highly recommend it. It was probably made more for family and close friends to give them a better understanding, but if the need arises I would have absolutely no qualms about having co-workers and/or supervisors listen to it.You are right about one thing....the only people who really understand what living with IBS is like are the people who live with IBS. As sympathetic or understanding as your family and friends might be, they can never understand what it is really like. It is also sad that people tend to make fun of things they don't understand. Unfortunately due the embarrassing nature of this disorder you really have to develop a thicker skin, so to speak. Otherwise your feelings will be constantly hurt. People who make fun of and tease a person in pain are obviously obnoxious, insenstive idiots and not worthy of you giving them a second thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts