Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acid reflux everyday.I take prevacid in the morning and at night.My thought is sore all the time.It seems like everything I eat and drink causes it to flare up. What kinds of things to you drink and eat?Any kind or fruit or tomato based product kills me.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
HI Wolverine:I don't have GERD, but found this information on diet for you at the Jackson Gastroenterology Website. The url for the article is: http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs03.htm You can also read about GERD itself at: http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs39.htm Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Diet PurposeThe esophagus is the tube that carries food from the throat to the stomach. However, it is not just a simple tube. The lower esophagus has a specialized muscle around it that usually stays tightly closed, opening only to allow food and liquid into the stomach. It acts to prevent the reflux of stomach acid into the esophagus. Symptoms occur when this specialized muscle weakens and allows stomach acid to splash up into the esophagus. These symptoms include heartburn, chest discomfort, and bitter fluid flowing up into the mouth. Chest discomfort can occur. If the stomach juice trickles into the breathing tubes, hoarseness, cough, and even shortness of breath can occur. This entire problem is called GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease). A number of factors, including certain foods, may cause the lower esophageal muscle to relax, causing GERD. Nutrition FactsA diet designed to prevent or reduce acid reflux is usually easy to follow. The basic food groups of cereals, vegetables, fruits, dairy products, and meats can be eaten with only a few limitations. So, this diet meets the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) of the National Research Council. Special Considerations The lower esophageal muscle can be weakened by factors other than food. The following recommendations may be helpful in reducing symptoms: Stop using tobacco in all forms. Nicotine weakens the lower esophageal muscle. Avoid chewing gum and hard candy. They increase the amount of swallowed air which, in turn, leads to belching and reflux. Do not lie down immediately after eating. Avoid late evening snacks. Avoid tight clothing and bending over after eating. Eat small portions of food at mealtime. Lose weight if overweight. Obesity leads to increased reflux. Elevate the head of the bed six to eight inches to prevent reflux when sleeping. Extra pillows, by themselves, are not very helpful. The following foods weaken the muscle valve in the lower esophagus, aggravate acid reflux, and should be avoided: fatty or fried foods peppermint and spearmint whole milk oils chocolate creamed foods or soups The following foods irritate an inflamed lower esophagus and may need to be limited or avoided: citrus fruit and juices coffee (regular and decaffeinated) grapefruit, orange, caffeinated soft drinks pineapple, tomato The following foods strengthen the muscle valve in the lower esophagus and help to prevent acid reflux. low-fat, high protein foods low-fat carbohydrates (bread, cereal, pasta, crackers) calcium, as in fat-free milk and low-fat yogurt Food Groups Group Recommend Avoid Milk or milk Products skim, 1% or 2% low-fat milk; low-fat or fat-free yogurt whole milk (4%), chocolate milk Vegetables all other vegetables fried or creamy style vegetables, tomatoes Fruits apples, berries, melons, bananas, peaches, pears citrus: such as oranges, grapefruit, pineapple Breads & grains all those made with low-fat content any prepared with whole milk or high-fat Meat, meat substitutes low-fat meat, chicken, fish, turkey cold cuts, sausage, bacon, fatty meat, chicken fat/skin Fat, oils none or small amounts all animal or vegetable oils Sweets & desserts all itmes made with no or low fat (less than or equal to 3 g fat/serving) chocolate, desserts made with oils and/or fats Beverages decaffeinated, nonmint herbal tea; juices (excepth citrus); water alcohol, coffee (regular or decaffeinated), carbonated beverages Soups fat-free or low-fat based chicken, beef, milk, or cream-based soups. Related DiseasesUpper GI Endoscopy (EGD) | GERD | Barrett's Esophagus | Esophagitis and Stricture | Heartburn and Reflux | Hiatus Hernia Related ProceduresPeptic Ulcer Disease --------------------------------------------------------------------------------This material does not cover all information and is not intended as a subsitute for professional care. Please consult with your physician on any matters regarding your health. [This message has been edited by JeanG (edited 09-11-2000).]

·
Registered
779 Posts
First of all I would get off prevacid & take prilosec. It works alot better and you only take it once a day. I cant eat tomato sauce products either even with prilosec, since I have given them up, I feel so much better. As for what to drink, my answer is WATER that is the only thing I can drink. I have my coffee in the morning & I know I shouldnt but the heck with it I say!. I cant drink orange juice or anything like that either. I eat a very bland diet, low or no spices and I seem to do ok with that. Go to diet site.com and you will find some info on GERD diet. I hope you fell better soon, I know how bad this condition is

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Wolverine!My name is steph. I don't have GERDS but I hope you find what your looking for! If you ever need to talk you can email me at stephjenkins_###hotmail.com. Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Wolverine, Foods to tolerate while having "a flare-up" are; popsicles, cream of wheat, oatmeal, toast, lots of water. I suffer from GERD,COLITIS,FIBROMYALGIA,MIGRAINES, IBS,DEPRESSION. All of my doctors have told for years," it's all in your head". So next you may want to get into counseling of some kind. I don't know if any of this helps you, except to say that living w/these chronic diseases are a pain in the ass!! Good Luck, Ezmarelda999###aol.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.