Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiWondering if anyone could help here, have looked through archives but unable to find exact answer as so much info. Why can't peppermint and homeopathic medicine be used together? How long do you have to wait after using peppermint before using homeopathy-an hour,day,week?Would really like to know as frequently use peppermint(main thing which helps my ibs) and also nux. vomica(for nausea) and aconite(helps nerves)Grateful for any info

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don't see why you can't use them both. You can always check with the person in the health food store as well. I have received a lot of useful information from them about things I could try to see how my IBS does. The Pribiotics they sold me work well for me and there were other things they suggested that brought me relief (but then it stops working...except the probiotics)Someone the other day posted that they take peppermint Altoids (which contain peppermint oil) instead of just the actual peppermint oil. I haven't tried PPrmnt. My IBS has been at bay, for the most part, but if the trouble arises I will try it.My only problem now is fluid retention, which I've had for the past three months.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Given that homeopathy is a
the question is illogical.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Eve, I don't know much about homeopathy other that is what helped my cousin with her Celiac disease. I'd advise talking to one you trust in your area. I use peppermint too; altho sparingly since I am IBS D. Have you ever tried using a peppermint scented shampoo to have the scent with you all day? I do that at times and it helps me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Eve..I drink several cups of peppermint tea daily, and suck on peppermint mints too. Combined with the supplements I am taking (Calcium, Fibercon, and Enzymes) I am feeling much better and having less flare ups. I am also IBS-D, and I have no problems combining all these things.
Debra

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Debra...I'm a bit confused? Don't you find all the cups of peppermint tea to make your D worse? I read somewhere that peppermint caused a laxative effect if consumed too much. (muscle relaxant of the bowels or something?) Do you think you have to take more calcium to make up for all the cups you have? I can only have 1 cup of peppermint tea to relax me in general before it is too much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I understand your question to mean that usually we are warned not to take mint with homeopathic meds. I've been wondering myself and I am taking it together. If the homeopathic doesn't work after a few days, I'll drop the mint, but what have i got to lose?

·
Registered
354 Posts
eve:peppermint along with other things such as coffee, products containing camphor (eg tiger balm, vicks etc), cola drinks, tea tree oil etc are reported as being able to antidote the effects of homeopathic remedies. Don't ask me why and don't ask me how homeopathic remedies work. Science has yet to figure this out.Sorry flux but here is a topic where we differ in our opinions. Contrary to popular belief I do not agree that homeopathy is the "Ultimate Fake" and just a placebo. I have no scientific data to support my belief just my own personal experience with homeopathy which has not been pleasant. Hopefully physics will figure it out one day.I will continue to caution anyone considering homeopathic treatment, it is not a completely safe form of treatment especially when high potency remedies are involved or the remedies are repeated too often when they shouldn't be.Good luck with your homeopathic treatment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for replies A friend who went to a homeopath was told not to take peppermint with any homeopathic medicine so I know it's not just a rumour,there must be a reason. Also read in various magazines, there was a mention of it causing an imbalance in caffine levels which would make sense with what Frostbite was saying.Am taking peppermint capsules,oil and tea frequently. They really help me with pain,wind and also help to stop those embarressing stomach noises. Never go into a class in the morning without having taken a capsule before breakfast. Never heard that it causes D(reason for thought as thats one of my main probs),know it's an anti-spasmotic so maybe excess could act as a laxitive(relaxs muscle to much??-although would think that'd cause C)Think I will ask in health food store about taking peppermint and homeopathic medicine together.If simply prevents homeopathy from working wouldn't be too bothered just woorried that it might cause adverse effects.Will post any info I get.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Don't ask me why and don't ask me how homeopathic remedies work. Science has yet to figure this out.
Hint: we have known all along. They don't
quote: topic where we differ in our opinions
That homeopathy does not work is a
quote:who went to a homeopath was told not to take peppermint with any homeopathic medicine so I know it's not just a rumour,there must be a reason.
Perhaps because it makes homeopathy sound like it's a real treatment.

·
Registered
370 Posts
quote:That homeopathy does not work is your opinion, which you are entitled to. That her question is illogical...SHAME ON YOU!
Not so, Flux's statement is backed by documented facts.Homeopathy: The Ultimate FakeStephen Barrett, M.D.Homeopathic "remedies" enjoy a unique status in the health marketplace: They are the only category of quack products legally marketable as drugs. This situation is the result of two circumstances. First, the 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, which was shepherded through Congress by a homeopathic physician who was a senator, recognizes as drugs all substances included in the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States. Second, the FDA has not held homeopathic products to the same standards as other drugs. Today they are marketed in health-food stores, in pharmacies, in practitioner offices, by multilevel distributors [A], through the mail, and on the Internet.The "Remedies" Are PlacebosHomeopathic products are made from minerals, botanical substances, and several other sources. If the original substance is soluble, one part is diluted with either nine or ninety-nine parts of distilled water and/or alcohol and shaken vigorously (succussed); if insoluble, it is finely ground and pulverized in similar proportions with powdered lactose (milk sugar). One part of the diluted medicine is then further diluted, and the process is repeated until the desired concentration is reached. Dilutions of 1 to 10 are designated by the Roman numeral X (1X = 1/10, 3X = 1/1,000, 6X = 1/1,000,000). Similarly, dilutions of 1 to 100 are designated by the Roman numeral C (1C = 1/100, 3C = 1/1,000,000, and so on). Most remedies today range from 6X to 30X, but products of 30C or more are marketed.A 30X dilution means that the original substance has been diluted 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times. Assuming that a cubic centimeter of water contains 15 drops, this number is greater than the number of drops of water that would fill a container more than 50 times the size of the Earth. Imagine placing a drop of red dye into such a container so that it disperses evenly. Homeopathy's "law of infinitesimals" is the equivalent of saying that any drop of water subsequently removed from that container will possess an essence of redness. Robert L. Park, Ph.D., a prominent physicist who is executive director of The American Physical Society, has noted that since the least amount of a substance in a solution is one molecule, a 30C solution would have to have at least one molecule of the original substance dissolved in a minimum of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules of water. This would require a container more than 30,000,000,000 times the size of the Earth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks I_H8_ibsI know if peppermint ever stops working for me I will definatly give homeopathy a more serious try.As far as I'm concerned it realy helped me with nausea and I know many more people for whom homeopathy has worked.If It turns out to be a placebo(which I don't believe) I don't particularly care. For me ibs is definately linked to my emotions and so if it gives me the confidence(wheather false or otherwise) to enter situations I would normaly avoid I'm happy.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Peppermints that have REAL oil of peppermint in them (also peppermint tea made from REAL peppermint leaves or tablets with REAL peppermint in them) as opposed to artifically flavored ones may help because Peppermint oil is an antispasmodic.It can increase heartburn for some individuals.K.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.