Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought some peppermint tea last week because i read that it was good for ibs. the first day i tried it, it near anough cured the pain in my stomach, it had felt the best in years but it only lasted one day, and since then it has just gone straight back to normal, i just dont understand
everything i try either doesnt work at all or works for one day and then goes back to normal, i just dont get it

·
Registered
646 Posts
Peppermint tea will not cure your IBS unfortunately,but it will often help the symptoms.....in particular cramping pains and feeling sick.Sometimes it is useful for a simple headache too and can be quite soothing.Bobbie

·
Registered
459 Posts
Peppermint tea can be of help in soothing the stomach for a lot of IBS-sufferers.However, it should be avoided by anyone with heartburn, or the more serious GERD (Gastro Esophogageal Reflus Disease) because it can make things worse.All mint of any kind should be avoided by people who have this complication.Ginger tea and camomile tea are still okay, as is any fruit tea wihout acidic additions such as lemon.Take care . . . from Lexi

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Nick I get this too sometimes one day peppermint works fine and another it wont. Usually I find this is because the pain is being caused by something different or is in a different area.I take peppermint tablets with meals that I don't know the content of and sometimes magnesium. I take it before any pain starts (ie with the meal) and even with expected problematic meals it is generally effective. The peppermint also helps with cramping pain as it aids digestion. Lexi is right about ginger that is good too. I can't generally take the teas as I think they taste horrible - but thats me....Another good thing to take, in my experience, is Bioforce Tormentil Complex. Its quite expensive but lasts for ages. You can get it the health food type shops and in Holland and Barratt.I have been "off board" for a while and have missed any previous posts from you so forgive me if you have already mentioned what I am going to ask!Do you know of anything that triggers the pain (It took 10 years to diagnose my IBS and then another 6 or so to work out my triggers...)Where is itWhat have you tried to dateHave you ever been given any meds by the GP?Take care

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi jo, no i dont know what triggers my pain. the doctors have not given me anything for it only for my headaches (not that they work) i just dont understand why it worked for a day then back to normal since then it doesnt make sense, im nearly at breaking point here, i still cant get rid of my constant headaches and my ibs is so painful and deabilitating

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi NickThis sounds like me a few years ago. I was trying allsorts to no avail. Still I get days where things don't work.Mine is definitely triggered by food. Keep a diary of everything you eat & drink for a few weeks and see if there is a pattern. Everyone seems to be different as to what can set them off, for me its onions (leeks, garlic, chives etc).Also go onto the Pain/Gas/Bloating board and see if there are any other suggestions as to what to people can suggest. (if you haven't done so already).Drink lots of plain water. Try a couple of drops of lavender oil on the temples when your headaches come to ease that a bit.Do you have any other symptoms? Where abouts is your (non-headache) pain?Other things you may try (if you haven't already)BuscopanColpermin Mebeverine based tablets (IBS over the counter remedies)Bioforce (as indicated in my previous message)MagnesiumHope this has been of some help!Bye for now - hope things improve for you....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts