Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a book that the Mayo Clinic just released. It is something about Natural or Alternative Medicines (can't remember the exact title, and I don't have it with me at this moment). Anyway . . . one of the interesting things I found was that they recommend giving enteric coated peppermint capsules a try for IBS. They explained that by relaxing the intestinal muscles, your motility is actually increased. I guess this would make sense, but on the other hand it kind of doesn't make sense.Any input on this?I've been taking enteric coated peppermint from time to time, and I strongly feel it helps. I take Zelnorm to increase motility, and I don't feel the peppermint works against it.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
They have antispasmatic properties.If the gut muscles are not tightening up, you might have better chance of going.
You don't want to use peppermint if you have gerd, as it can make it worse though.Hypnotherapy can relax the gut muscles as well.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:They explained that by relaxing the intestinal muscles, your motility is actually increased
No, it does not make any sense.

·
Registered
175 Posts
quote:hey explained that by relaxing the intestinal muscles
True
quote:If the gut muscles are not tightening up, you might have better chance of going.
That`s how they should work, but they didn`t nothing for me. But I`ve read a lot postings that Enteric-coated peppermint capsules help some people. I would try it out. AFAIK they modulate calcium-channels in the colon?!
quote:No, it does not make any sense.
Make sense

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:That`s how they should work,
No, that's not how it works.
quote:If the gut muscles are not tightening up,
They aren't "tight" to begin with.Relaxed muscles are just limp. You need propulsive contractions to make you go.
quote:AFAIK they modulate calcium-channels in the colon?!
Yes, but not in the colon, in the stomach for the non-enteric coated ones and duodenum for the enteric-coated. I doubt it has much affect on the distal small bowel or colon. So while it won't help, it won't make things worse either.

·
Registered
702 Posts
quote:Yes, but not in the colon, in the stomach for the non-enteric coated ones and duodenum for the enteric-coated. I doubt it has much affect on the distal small bowel or colon.
Not necessarily true:Gastrointestinal clinical pharmacology of peppermint oil"Optimal pH triggered enteric coated formulations start releasing PO in the small intestine extending release over 10-12 h thus providing PO to the target organ in irritable bowel syndrome, i.e. the colon."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.