Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does one of these work better for all of you then the other? I am going out of town and want something reliable just in case
------------------Too young to feel this bad!!!!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I think many people on here use Immodium which I'd like to add a question about since we're on the topic. I've never used it before, and I've got one of these days coming up at work where the boss indicates that if you're not there you'd better be hospitalized or dead. Sooo...if I wanted to use Immodium to make SURE I'm there that morning, would I take it the night before or early that morning? Are there any risks of taking that stuff in this manner--for example, since I'm not accustomed to it, could it make me worse?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amy, Pepto bismal has never worked for me, when I have D, I take Immodium.Steve, Before giving up fruit I had a LOT of experience with Immodium. It works relatively quickly on the cramps and D and I never had a C problem afterwards. I would take it in the morning when you get up versus the night before unless you usually explode first thing in the morning. Good luck.------------------A little unconditional love can make your whole day!Jackie(C-type)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thanks Jackie. Are you suggesting that giving-up fruit helped a great deal? I've found that staying away from fruit with high fructose content helps--so I limit myself to apples and raspberries mostly. Maybe I should even ditch those during flare-ups.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve.....could you tell me which fruits have high fructose levels? Apples don't cause me problems and neither do pears, but bananas are EVIL....I would like to know others that are high or low------------------Too young to feel this bad!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recommend Immodium. It has always worked for me. Pepto never has. I would also recommend to take it in the morning rather than the night before. I took 2 Immodium advance on Tuesday right before I got on an airplane and as usual it worked. Immodium seems to regulate me more than anything. I only take it when I am going to be somewhere that I have to worry about getting to a bathroom. usually by the next day I am back to my usual bathroom routine. I never get c from it. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Crazy Amy - Apples are evil for me - high fibre. Banana's are GOOD (apparently they coat the stomach). Funny, I've never really liked banana's and yet my body craves them and they stay PUT!!
I take Immodium - works pretty fast. I buy the generic brand as it's alot cheaper (I live in Australia). Only problem with it is that I find it doesn't work as fast (it's capsule (green/grey) rather than the pill). Then again maybe it's mind over matter - anyone else find the capsules work slower than the pill?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I used to have a list of the fruits that are higher in fructose than others, but I don't know what happened to it. I'm fairly certain that oranges and peaches are near the top of the list for high fructose content. I don't know where strawberries rate, but they give me serious problems too. Bananas are notorious on this list for helping some people and making others worse. I've tried like crazy to figure-out what it is & my best guess is that there might be some variation based on how ripe they are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone......I bought some Immodium last night......I'll let you know how it worked when I get back from California!!------------------Too young to feel this bad!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My GI Doctor said I had to increase my Citrus intake as he told me to reduce all other fibre (i.e. green veges, apples etc) and that Citrus is a different form of fibre when breaking down which is better than straight fibre.If that makes sense at all. I guess maybe it's because I don't always have D so I can't cut all fibre or I become C (though I tend towards D more)------------------kiwiora###hotmail.com50% D, 20% C, 30% Normal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have to say a word for pepto! i love it!i am mainly c type - but when i have days where i keep having urges and struggle to get much out and feel really nauseas then pepto is my knight in shining armour as it calms that sicky feeling stops the urges and doesn't make my c worse!!!hoooray for pepto!!!(sorry - just felt that someone should say a nice word for the little pink fella!!
)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve, Let's put it this way, I just don't get D anymore since I gave all of this up. I still have C problems so I really have to watch my fiber and water but no D in months and months. The level of my C problems is still significantly better and lots less debilitating than when I had the combo C & D. I still have never gotten my hands on that De Lamar Gibbons book that I think Blair recommended that deals with fructose, etc.I still keep Immodium around just in case I eat something by mistake but I haven't taken it in months and months either!One reminder to everyone that Immodium Advanced has sorbitol in it and for me it was like taking a high powered laxitive.Steve, EMAIL me at jlmosherzoo###hotmail.com if you want to have a lengthier discussion.------------------A little unconditional love can make your whole day!Jackie(C-type)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts