Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has had perimenopause and their IBS to act up. I am beginning to go through perimenopause and I have felt terrible. My ibs has acted up more to and I think it may be because of hormoneschanging so much. Does anyone else have any ideas about this. I just started taking Estrotabs that have helped the fatigue,muscle aches,low energy,heart palpitations and difficulty breathing. I had had thyroid and heart EKG done and nothing showed up.Blood work showed up nothing but the Estrotabs are helping a lot. My IBS is worse in some ways now. I have mostly C type but am getting more D type from time to time.If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks.Summer[This message has been edited by summer (edited 10-13-1999).][This message has been edited by summer (edited 10-13-1999).]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dear Summer,I hate to tell you this, but I never heard of IBS until I went through premature menopause. I am now on HRT, but I suffer from IBS-C. It is hard to believe that I once could eat as much as anything I wanted with no effects at all. Do not be afraid to take hormones if they make you feel better. I was so young, I really did not have a choice. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Sage. I appreciate your help and advice. I was a little worried about the HRTbut I know how much better it makes me feel.I had so much stress three years ago with mydivorce and a bad marriage. I am sure that is what caused my IBS. I am lots better but have noticed that the perimenopause had acted it up some. I too am C type mostly.Hope you are feeling better. Hugs , summer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re:perimenopause - Check with your doctor about the oral natural progesterone called Prometrium. Seems to give me more energy and has a calming affect which may help you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI Girls! I went for my yearly pap last week, and complained about my periods coming so much more often and much heavier. Thought surely I was going to hear that I needed a hyst! They told me I am probably beginning menopause and started me on Prempro! Imagine my surprise! But I have had a lot of trouble with the D part of my IBS acting up a lot this year as well, So I bet there is a connection between the hormones and the symptoms. Hope you all do well! Peace! Sharon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been wondering about this myself. I feel that my troubles might be hormone related. I'm 42 yrs. old. Does that sound too young to be perimenopausal? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my first time on this web page and I have found it very informative. I don't feel so isolated with my IBS anymore. To the women who wondered about IBS and peri-menopause and menopause. I have certainly found my symptoms increased with peri-menopause and are still going strong with menopause.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I read that estrogen speeds up your digestive system, so I would think HRT could cause D; and menopause (without supplementation) might lead to C. I just started Prometrium 2 days ago, and got the first full night's sleep I've had in 8 months. Hope it continues!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Girls! Is a prescription needed for Prometrium? I'm having alot of hormone problems and my IBS is very flaired up! I think there is a definite connection. I had a hyst. back in 94 at a young age. Since then I have been on HRT's. Presently taking Ogen but started having hot flashes, severe fatigue, undescribable jitters and insomina.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, Thank you all for posting about my perimenopause question. I do think that hormones are connected in some way. I find now that my c is much worse and sometimes it get to be d before it is over with. I started taking Estratabs but am trying Estratest now for this month to see what works best. I find my IBD is much worse since my perimenopause has started. It seems my periods are still messed up and longer but I hope we can find help for the situation. I really don't mind going through this but I do want to get my IBD calmed down. Thanks... summmer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.