Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six months ago I didn't even know what this word meant. It's the 10 years or so leading up to menopause, the actual cessation of your period. Well, I'll be 45 next month, and I've started having some symptoms, mainly lots of night sweats and a few hot flashes. I'm also more tired than usualy, but that could be just about anything. I don't intend to take hormone therapy, unless it gets totally unbearable, but have started taking black cohosh for the night sweats. Has anyone tried anything else that helps, other than hormone therapy, to relieve your symptoms, and what your symptoms are. It's just not fair we women get stuck with all this fun (not) stuff!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Ah yes,, I can relate.I am 42, will be 43 in April, and I've been having sypmtoms the past couple of years.There are a variety of things that can help. I was having a lot of hot flashes and "evening primrose oil" helped me a lot.Other things like natural soy estrogen, like Promensil, are helpful too.Some women use yam cream, and although I haven't , I've heard it helps.Black cohosh, is supposed to be good too. Does it seem to be helping ?? I never tried that.I hope some of those things help. It's not easy being at this stage in our lives. My husband says that living with me is like being on a roller coaster ride.. one min I'm up , the next I'm down. At least I'm not boring.
Anyway, hope you feel better.. it's not easy being a woman sometimes.(((HUGS)))Jeanne
By the way .. who is "GBS" ????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeanne. I've taken the primrose oil before, and it really helped with the PMS. I should start taking it again. I've only been taking the cohosh for about a week, and haven't noticed any difference yet. It grosses hubby out when he'll throw a leg or something over me at night, and he says "eeewwww" because I'm soaked, and he backs right off. It usually happens every night, multiple times each night. Haven't noticed too much in the way of mood swings yet. GBS stands for Great Big Sea, a wonderful band from Newfoundland that I love. I've seen them in concert 5 times, and really love them. Take care.Jennifer

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 42 and I haven't flashed yet. But I do have something called atrophic vaginitis which is extremely miserable. It causes lots of burning, it affects the urethra and bladder and sometimes feels like someone has taken a blow torch to my nether regions. When I saw the gyne, he didn't take me too seriously and insisted I was too young for perim. I have been using Premarin cream but it doesn't seem to help much. Maybe I'm not using enough.I get really depressed over it sometimes. It makes me feel old and past my prime, which I know isn't true. It just seems to have snuck up on me. I wasn't prepared for any changes for another 10 years or so. Boy, was I wrong.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Spartina, I started this peri mess seven years ago when I was 42. They told me I was too young then, too. I haven't had a period in 7 months, but my hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety attacks are worse than ever. (When will this be OVER?) I also have severe atrophy (I even had it while taking BC pills), with the same, awful symptoms as yours. (Plus an irritating discharge.) They tell me you're not supposed to develop atrophy until several years AFTER menopause. I guess they're wrong. Premarin, Estrace and VagiFEM didn't help. I'm scared to think how bad are things going to be in 10 or 20 years.Jennifer, I think it depends on the severity of your menopause. I know some women who have sailed through it, and natural remedies--or NO treatment--is sufficient for them. I can't even get my hormones balanced on BC pills, which are supposed to be the last-resort treatment. (The doctor told me, "It's IMPOSSIBLE for you to have all these hot flashes while taking the Pill.")The only helpful advice I can give is, if you're not taking calcium supplements yet, start doing so right away. Our bones start leaching out at a rally fast rate during this time of life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
spartina and ziglady,I am 43, and have been going through perimenopause for about 7 years now. The ob-gyn who diagnosed me said that it can start as early as 35 or so. It all has to do with the individual. Some of the causes for early onset are early start of menstruation (which will cause you to go through actual menopause early -- we only have a finite number of fertile years), smoking, use of birth control, weight, health, etc. So to be 42, and going through perimenopause, is not at all unusual, and certainly NOT impossible.As for hot flashes while taking birth control -- I had a friend who had a complete hysterectomy at 36. The doctor immediately put her on HRT. She went through HELL with hot flashes, mood swings, night sweats, you name it. The doctors tried every combination of hormones they knew of, even put her on anti-anxiety drugs, and sent her to a psychiatrist. Nothing helped. She went through this for about 10 years, being totally miserable. She finally went off the hormones, and other drugs, and has not had a problem since!My answer to any doctor who says that what I am experiencing is IMPOSSIBLE, and that they therefore refuse to consider the possibility and treat me accordingly, is this: please forward my medical records to Dr. So-and-so, I will be seeing him/her from now on.NOTHING is IMPOSSIBLE.
We are individuals, and have individual reactions.Instead of telling us that what we are experiencing is impossible, the doctor should be trying to help us.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you both so much for your postings. I am on BC too and still have the atrophy. It's just so uncomfortable and at times quite painful. I am thinking of trying a soy supplement in tablet form. I can't stand the taste of soy milk and thought this might be a good alternative.Zig, do you have the burning after you pee? Sorry to be so personal. that's when it bothers me the most. My symptoms seem to be more urinary related than anything.Some days I am fine and then for several days I'll feel really bad. It must be some sort of "dip" in hormone levels that the BCPs can't level off. I know what you mean about what things will be like in 10 years. It worries me too.If you ever need to vent,please feel free to email me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.