Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 42 years old and believe I am starting to go through perimenopause. My mother went through menopause in her mid 40's and had a very difficult time with mood swings, etc. I have been finding that my PMS symptoms have been intensifying. I also have endometriosis so I am used to the cramps. I have found, though, that my mood swings during that time are much worse. I feel very depressed and cry a lot for a couple days at the beginning of my period. I occasionally have hot flashes at night and nausea during this time also. Is this all a symptom of the beginnings of menopause? My poor husband called me during the day yesterday and I was so depressed and started crying for no reason. He is just getting used to these mood swings since we recently got married. What can be done to lessen these symptoms, if anything?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds familiar.For some reason the night sweats have stopped...But I found a small amount of a natural progesterone cream seemed to help with the being overly irritable and night sweats thing, but for some reason lately that seems to have calmed down and I am not taking it at the moment.There is a book "the wisdom of menopause" that I have and seems to be a good resource for things you can try (altering diet, natural supplements, and medical intervention)K.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My doctor put me on very low dose birth control pills. It really helped the mood swings, but it also took away every sexual impulse I had (which wasn't much to begin with), so I went off of them. But you may want to ask about that option. After I went off the pill, I realized I had to take as much control of those ups and downs that I could (which isn't easy all the time). That meant some life changes, such as diet and natural supps, like KMottus mentioned, as well as adding some exercise to my daily routine. But I also had to re-evaluate my work environment (pressure/stress)and my home life (was it satisfying?). I also had to get out of "me" as much as possible by helping others (charity work or your friends), and finding a meditation/spiritual method that helped me through rough times. These things I'm trying are working pretty darn well so far. I would recommend trying everything and anything (within reasonable tolerance & that is healthful) until you find what works for you. Like IBS, I'm finding there isn't a quick fix to perimenopause either. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts