Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have more problems when there period comes with ibs? I cannot take aspirins and I am open for ideas on how to cope. also I was told that I might have endometriosis, help me with some ideas I'm only 20

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just saw a thread posted today on the endometreosis, and there was a fairly long thread a few days ago re the period thing. Most of us have some kind of trouble with periods, and it seems many have endo, or have been suspected of having it. Try hot baths, or hot water bottles, plenty of sleep, and (beleive it or not) ab exercises during the rest of the month to strengthen your abs for 'that time'. Also, hot liquids seem to help some people - ginger tea can help as well. The endo - only a dr can fix, although you can use herbs and natural remedies to prevent it from getting worse / bigger - see today's thread. Good luck.------------------Bethae3Today is the Tomorrow you worried about - was it worth it?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is reasonably common that woman notice a change in bowel patterns associated with the time of the month (even the non-IBSers) so it isn't terribly suprising that IBS sufferers see monthly changes in symptoms, most people report that IBS is worse during that time of the month.That and with things being all together down there one things spasming could be setting off something else. Second the talk with the doctor about endometriosis. There are treatments for that and it does not typically go away or get better by itself. K.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Tiffy, I am 28 years old, and for over 10 years have suffered with endo and IBS-d. For years, I went without a correct dx. I was told that I had Chron's disease, cancer, "just ovulating" and appendistis. You need to take charge of your health and find doctors taht will work with you. You can not get a proper DX for endo unless you get a laproscopy (a minor surgerical procedure). For more information on endo, check out the Endometriosis Association web site.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, heres my experience with ibs and periods. Since i first got ibs , which was 11 months ago, my periods have been all messed up. I have irregular periods, more menstrual cramping than usual and it definately makes my ibs worse. My gynacologist so far doesnt think my problems are related to anything gynacological. Im a little skeptical. All i know is that before i had ibs, i never had trouble with my periods. It was like when this ibs started it caused all kinds of problems down there.

·
Registered
546 Posts
my ibs always gets worse when my period is coming. i've heard its normal for even non-ibs women to get irregular at this time of the cycle.i was on lotronex for a few months, and even a couple of my periods while under that medication still caused me to have diarrhea - but only a couple, so it was an improvement. its a bummer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A lot of Jens on this thread! JenS wrote:You need to take charge of your health and find doctors that will work with you. You are SO right! It seems that intestinal problems like ours must be the most misdiagnosed in the world.Unlike JenJen, the only time I had even semi-normal stool, and I use semi-normal loosely, was the first two days of my period. Not only that, I have greater frequency.Happy Holidays!Another Jen

·
Registered
262 Posts
Heya Heya I am 21 and have regular periods all my life , woohoo , and have been IBS-D for , well a long time. I am taking Bentyl wich helps and also meds for Bipolar that have C as a side effect.Safe to say I am feeling food to go on periods I have less cramps its alomst ok ......so I thought ....This is month #5 and the after my last day here comes the D. It doesnt matter what I eat what I dont eat Pepto is no help nothing is. I tried hot bath , peppermint tea peppermint oil pepto immodium toast eating not eating no caffiene no chocolate lotsa water but its all pointless....little odd eh.I have gotten rid of D for 3 weeks a month , het no complaints here ....but I traded it in for a couple dayz of sheer terror...ok it isnt that bad but it sucks.I almost hope or an overian syst or something because atleast for that it can be removed and done away with....... but then maybe its a blessing for taking away the rest of my D times. I dont know. Hope all goes well for others.Good Luck. L8R!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.