Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else experience worse symptoms during their periods. Does anyone experience HOt flashes or just buring up all day long when you have your period. I do and i don't know what it is because i am only 17 years old it is not anything big but who wants to be like hot that they would rather be naked all day long not me! So i would appreciate if you girls would fill me in on what happens with you when you have your periods!christy*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Christy,Boy! I won't even get started on my periods, but my IBS kicks in extra bad about a week before my period starts. I started my period when I was 11 and they put me on birth control pills by 13 in hopes of slowing my period down some. As far as cramping, D, etc. it did nothing, but without the Pill I flow incessantly (sorry to be gross, lol). I think most of the women on here will tell you that their IBS and their menstrual cycles are not friends, to say the least.
Kerri

·
Registered
389 Posts
I now longer get periods, but when I did my IBS symptoms were greatly increased during that particular time. I was diag with UC when I was 18, and in later years, IBS, spastic bowel, mucous colitis, spastic colon. Recently I started going to a new acupunturist and she believes that when hormones kick in, there are alot of digestive problems. That is why sometimes colon/bowel problems can begin in adolescence, when hormones are raging....settle down when women become pregnant....all hormones. Just a therory, but it seems to make sense in my case. Since going through menopause, I have had less problems....until I was diag. with hypothyroid and medication caused some initial disruption. But, everything seems to be under control right now. If you ever elect to take hormone therapy, keeps tabs on your IBS. I am sure it will effect it somehow.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I am happy to report that I have no change on or off my period. Just the normal cramps. I better knock on wood though, I probably just jinxed myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:Originally posted by strana_gallina:Does anyone else experience worse symptoms during their periods. Does anyone experience HOt flashes or just buring up all day long when you have your period. I do and i don't know what it is because i am only 17 years old it is not anything big but who wants to be like hot that they would rather be naked all day long not me! So i would appreciate if you girls would fill me in on what happens with you when you have your periods!christy*
Yes, my IBS acts up terribly when I am on my period. I also have had endometriosis so my doctor suggested that I take the pill, but not to take the sugar pills, but start on the next pack so I would no longer have a period. I did that for about five months and it was nice not to have my period. I still had the D during the month, but at least I didn't have the menstrual cramps along with it. I just went back to the doctor and he told me that I needed to give my body a break so I had to have my period to release some of the "build up". I was able to do this since my husband had a vasectomy so I wasn't concerned about getting pregnant. When I am on my period, I have the worst cramps and I hate to even go to work because I hurt so bad. I have not had any hot flashes though. When I do have my period, I am constantly taking ibuprofen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that I'm pregnant, I'm not experiencing it, but when I was having periods, I could always count on my bowel cramping and D going along with my menstral cramps. I, too, suffered from hot flashes and would have to dress in layers so that I could remove clothing as I got hot and put it back on as the hot flash went away. My friend who is menopausal used to laugh at me as I looked like her before she went on hormones.Christine------------------It is never too late to be what you might have been.----George Eliot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks so much for all your respones it is good to hear that some other people experience some of the same thing that i do !thanks so much!christy*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts