Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Christmas 3 years ago I had a very bad stomach and intestinal flu. Within 3 weeks I had gained 20 pounds and 6 inches. In a few months I was 35-40 pounds overweight and my waist was increased by 12 inches and a year later, after 3 doctors annd every test known to man I was diagnosed with IBS. This hasn't changed much since. I had diverticular disease before and since I have COPD, diabetes, high chlorestrol, and one blocked artery and arthritis. I exercise 30-40 minutes each day with weights every other day; walk on treadmeal or outside if the humidity or temp isn't too bad for 30 minutes per day. I'm on a high fiber, low carbohydrates and chlorestrol, not hard foods or foods with cernals.Help. I am at a loss of what more to do.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: my waist was increased by 12 inches and a year later, after 3 doctors annd every test known to man I was diagnosed with IBS
I am bit confused. What does this have to with IBS? What's inside the 12 inches?

G

·
Perhaps you are on medication for some of your ailments and it can be causing the weight gain. but more than lightly if you FEEL bloated, aka, FEEL pressure then it is ibs and not fat. i had a very tiny tight stomach but after years of ibs is has blown up pretty much permannently. my doc says this is b/c of the continuous bloating which cause the muscles to lax out and actually changes the shape of your stomach and even fat can accumulate there if you are not using the stomach muscles. this makes sense to me from what I see as no other part of my body is getting fatter.so my question is - do you feel pressure from the inside or do you jsut look more fat and bloated. if you feel pressure i'd say it is ibs. if you look on the bloating section of the board you will see many people who describe themselves as skinny, but with huge stomachs. i think its a common phenomenon of those who have bloating type IBS.

G

·
but wait. you have other symtpoms of ibs right? not just getting larger adn fatter. I ask, b/c if you don't then I would say this is defnitely NOT ibs. there are tumors that grow in the stomach and can cause increased abdominal girth and weight. and there are several other options. have you been tested for celiac disease (in some it can cause weight gain) or for a thyroid problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depending on the individual, IBS bloating and constipation can cause drastic weight gain. This is not unusual.Stay away from breads, and junk foods, etc. Also, u may wanna give peppermint capsules a go.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have IBS D,and in the morning I am a size 10 ,but by evening I am two or three sizes larger, now if you have D all day wouldn't you think it would be the other way around. The bloating gets worse as the day goes by and I di not eat gassy foods or drink milk or milk products!!!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:IBS bloating and constipation can cause drastic weight gain
Nope, IBS per se has no effect on body weight.

G

·
if you have diarhea and are getting larger throughtout the day you are probably having spasm. the spasms cause the diarrhea which pushed out the fecal matter. but after hours of spasming things kind of kink up on themselves and you can get trapped gas. sometimes even the gut muscles pushing due to spasms can bloat the stomach. have you ever seen a skinny person blow out there stomach by bearing down. this is the same concept. when there is tightness in the gut there will also be a bulging out. this is a muscular issue. i have found that taking antispasmotics really help with this b/c they redcue the spasming and allow the stomach to relax.i'm not sure how weight is involved with this only to say that my stomach seems much fatter than it should normally be. this could have something to do with the muscles being pushed outward. its hard to say. but I think for some there is a weight gain with ibs.

G

·
I experience daily bloating and distension as well as gas, some days more or less than others depending on what I eat and what my activity level is, and my waist expands about 3-4 inches each day but goes down by morning. I have never gained any weight as a result.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.