Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently diagnosed with IBS. At times it is almost crippling. The cramps and the urgency to go. There seems to be no real triggers...perhaps anxiety. What petrifies me is that I am getting married in July...what will I do if struck while at the alter. The idea almost scares me to tears.Is there anyone who has had a similar plight?

G

·
Yes, I have exactly the same problem. You never know when it will strike. Sometimes it comes for no reason at all and it is urgent. Of course anxiety can make it worse. Which comes first the chicken or the egg, well who cares because no matter what it happens. It is a cycle that goes round and round, I developed anxiety to being confined to any kind of situations where I could not just up and leave. This came from getting sick with D and stomach pains so frequent, that I am afraid to travel, be confined, i.e. standing up front giving a speech, or for you at the altar, also meetings, car trips with other people, any group setting. I call it anxiety with a cause. Some people have anxiety to flying in a plane or fear of small spaces, for no reason, because they have never crashed or had anything bad happen to them, they are just scared, but I have anxiety of getting sick in confined spaces, because I have gotten sick in confined spaces, enough to imbed it in my mind so that as soon as I am in that situation and I already am not feeling good to start with, I can spiral to having to feel like I have to run to the bathroom. Answer, I keep anxiety medication, lorazepan, ativan in my pocketbook at all times. I don't take them everyday or abuse them, but if I know I have a meeting or have to be isolated in a certain place like you will be in getting married, it is a life saver. They make your mind stop thinking about what if and leading to that downward spiral of anxiety leading to the big D.I would talk to your doctor and tell him about your anxieties and you could just get a prescription of 30 and keep them for these types of situations.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Often the fears are worse than the actual event. We married in the afternoon, in great part to avoid major problems.If you haven't tried Linda's calcium treatment, now might be a good time to see if it works for you. Also, you have almost the 100 days for the first runthrough of Mike's hypnotherapy CDs before your wedding day.Other strategies might include dosing with enough Immodium to guarantee a C-day and wearing disposable underwear, just for the ceremony and the early part of the reception, so you don't have to worry about it.I'm sure others will have more of these kinds of ideas.Mark

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would also say imodium the night before and day of. Then you can take something alongside it for your nerves (check with Dr. for interactions) like valium or xanax.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just hear too many stories of simplistic diagnoses of IBS when it's something else so I have to ask --- did you have the full battery of tests including upper GI, stool sample, and colonoscopy? Did they exclude everything (ulcers, celiac disease, clostridium difficile, colitis, gluten intolerance, crohn's, cancer, microscopic colitis, etc.)? If so, first be thankful you don't have any of those. If not, get the full battery of tests and also test yourself for lactose intolerance by excluding lactose from your diet. If all the major stuff has been excluded and you are convinced you really do have IBS-D, ask your doctor for a prescription to Motofen. It worked for me INSTANTLY after failing to find success with Pamine, Kombucha, Digestive Advantage, FiberCon, Florastor, Calcium, Xifaxin, Immodium, Lomotil, diet changes, etc. It is my miracle cure, and I wish somebody had suggested it to me five years ago. Good luck!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think about this all the time! I don't have an impending wedding, but every time my BF and I talk about getting married or the kind of wedding we want to have I get all freaked out! I plan on having a very bland diet in the couple days leading up to the wedding - nothing I've never had before, and nothing I've ever had a history of a problem with. If that means just crackers and water, I'm prepared for that. I plan on taking Imodium the night before and the day of. Taking too much gives me C sometimes for a couple days afterwards, but I'd rather have a few slightly uncomfortable days than have an accident at my wedding! I'll also probably take an extra dose of my antispasmodics - I take an extra 10-20 mgs sometimes when I'm having a bad attack, I'm sure I'll just take one preemptively on my wedding day. And try to get married at your most IBS-friendly time of the day - for me, that will definitely be the afternoon!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know exactly how you feel! Prior my wedding, all my bridesmaids knew about the IBS. (I told my friends what was going on because it was too stressful for me to keep to myself) I took enough Immodium to *almost* guarentee C instead of D. I had my Hyoscyamine (anti-spasmodic) with me, and took that too.What helped me more than anything was telling people exactly what I wanted and needed. I had all the plans in advance, who goes where, etc., and told everyone what the plans were. The day of my wedding, every time someone would start harassing me about something (pictures, food, make decisions that have already been made), I would look at them and say, "No. Go talk to my Maid of Honor." She was my lifesaver, she kept everyone away from me so I could enjoy being with my new husband. Keeping the stress away was the single biggest help for me that day. And no, I didn't have any D that day.
Also, please consider just eating normally the morning of. I think if I'd been hungry, I would have fainted or something!I'm sorry if this is long, but I really feel for you. I was so worried about IBS ruining the day. Just try to stay calm and enjoy yourself!Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, everyone, for all of your advice. I don't know about taking a xanax on my wedding day...my body is not used to those drugs anymore and i fear a xanny will knock me out or cloud my head. But i will look into the anti-anxiety meds, definatly. The bentyl my doctor prescribed for me is 10mg. They don't always tend to work. She said it should last 6 hours. If they don't work, is it safe to take another before those 6 hours are up? Also, is okay to take immodium with the anti-spaz? (i hope so, cuz i do that before every tattoo appointment i have).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for all of your advice. I don't know about taking a xanax on my wedding day...my body is not used to those drugs anymore and i fear a xanny will knock me out or cloud my head. But i will look into the anti-anxiety meds, definatly.
The bentyl my doctor prescribed for me is 10mg. They don't always tend to work. She said it should last 6 hours. If they don't work, is it safe to take another before those 6 hours are up? Also, is okay to take immodium with the anti-spaz? (i hope so, cuz i do that before every tattoo appointment i have).
You can take imodium with Bentyl with no problems. Maybe your doctor can prescribe a milder anti-anxiety med. I take a low dose of Ativan, twice a day. It keeps me calm but does not make me a zombie, and I can function with no problems. I would only take the Bentyl as prescribed, but you can ask your doctor if you can take it more often. Good luck and I hope all goes well on your wedding day. You will be a lovely bride and no one will know about the imodium that you took as a precaution. It is your day to shine. GadJett

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had a small wedding (6 people) for that very reason. It worked out well but I would not do it any other way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts