Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feel guilty about phoning in sick? I'm not actually off today with my IBS but with an ear infection (in pain, dizzy, sick, can't walk in a straight line) and I feel so bad about being off sick. It just adds to the number of absenses (even though I'm hardly even off with anything other than my IBS) pretty sure I'm being referred to occupational health just wonder what they are going to say/do.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Showing up and being completely unproductive isn't all that good for the work place either. Especially if you are sick enough other people will feel they need to take care of you instead of doing their work. Also in the cases when you can pass it on getting the rest of the people at work sick also isn't good for the workplace and you shouldn't feel bad about keeping your germs to yourself.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I guess I'm lucky that my symptoms are mild enough that I rarely need to call in sick because of them. Yesterday I had to go in late because I was having a particularly bad day (for me)... and, yes, I felt guilty for that. I'm highly productive when I'm at work, so I probably shouldn't feel the guilt, but I hate calling in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, my line manager says she can't complain about my work. I just hate having this hanging over me.

G

·
At my work sick days and vacation days are one pool of 'paid time off'- so the more I call in sick the less vacation time I have. I not only feel guilty about taking off from work, but I feel guilty when I use them up and hubby and I can't take a vacation. I have to be really careful this year that I don't use all my days up early because my brother is getting married in New Orleans in October and I am so looking forward to that! Fortunately, any leave longer than 5 consecutive days kicks in our short-term disability insurance so this extended bout isn't costing me PTO, but I still miss being at work. I feel guilty because my first day out was a fellow team member's first day back after maternity leave- so not only did she get immediately dumped with her usual tasks that I had been covering, but also with my usual tasks. My boss has insisted that it's okay, I am a valued employee and they would rather have me better (of course now I get a diagnosis that never really gets cured). But then I found out another person on the team is out for neck surgery- so not only do I feel guilty but I'm a bit nervous about the state of our projects when I do get back. I have over 500 emails and that's with people knowing I was out. I'm not supposed to be checking email, but I have peeked a few times and today saw a notice that my expense report is delinquent. It was late when I left for the holidays but I figured a day or two is usually okay- then it turns into over a month. ugh.My biggest worry is that I was hoping to get a promotion this year and I missed the normal period for our reviews. I know we'll do it when I get back but by then all the budgets will be submitted and approved and I worry that I won't get the promotion because I wasn't there at the right time to fight for it.All this to say, Yes- I feel guilty calling in/taking off work when I'm sick.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I never feel guilty about phoning in sick.I work for the same organisation that is dragging it's feet in getting me sorted out! The NHS.

·
Registered
287 Posts
yeh-me too, riddick. I've somehow managed not to call in sick since resuming my career 9years ago. There again, I only work 10-20hrs per week, afternoons only (for obvious reasons) and only once told someone at work about it bacause they kept pressing me to work mornings. I'm very proud of my work record but I wouldn't have been able to manage it at all well if I had been full time. I use my days off or holidays for tests, doctors appt etc. and keep my fingers crossed I can continue for a bit longer. I'm also lucky that I only get anxiety and diarrhoea rather than pain.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm lucky in that i have a very understanding manager and occy health dept. They have all been very supportive. All they wish for is for me to be well...sick record has never been an issue.........i suppose 3 hospital admissions totalling in a month in hospital kinda says i'm not swinging the lead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts