Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proof That a Gut-Wrenching Complaint -- Irritable Bowel Syndrome -- Is Not in Your HeadScienceDaily (Aug. 20, 2010) - Irritable bowel syndrome makes life miserable for those affected -- an estimated ten percent or more of the population. And what irritates many of them even more is that they often are labeled as hypochondriacs, since physical causes for irritable bowel syndrome have never been identified.Now, biologists at the Technische Universitaet Muenchen (TUM) have shed new light on the matter: They have discovered mini-inflammations in the mucosa of the gut, which upset the sensitive balance of the bowel and are accompanied by sensitization of the enteric nervous system.Flatulence, constipation and diarrhea, nausea and stomach cramps: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can turn digestion into a nightmare. Frequent visits to the bathroom are often accompanied by sleep disturbances, headaches, and backaches. In Germany alone, some seven million people are affected by the disorder -- and by the fact that their irritable bowel syndrome is often deemed psychosomatic. This is because the organic trigger of the disease has never been discovered, and consequently the various therapeutic interventions are disappointing for both the patients and their doctors. That may soon change, however, because now, for the first time, biologists in Munich have nailed down hidden physical causes of this bowel disorder.Professor Michael Schemann's research team at the TUM Department for Human Biology has managed to demonstrate that micro-inflammations of the mucosa cause sensitization of the enteric nervous system, thereby causing irritable bowel syndrome. Using ultrafast optical measuring methods, the researchers were able to demonstrate that mediators from mast cells and enterochromaffin cells directly activate the nerve cells in the bowel. This hypersensitivity of the enteric nervous system upsets communication between the gut's mucosa and its nervous system, as project leader Prof. Schemann explains: "The irritated mucosa releases increased amounts of neuroactive substances such as serotonin, histamine and protease. This cocktail produced by the body could be the real cause of the unpleasant IBS complaints."The TUM researchers in human biology are blazing a trail as they follow this lead. Their current focus is to what extent nerve sensitization correlates with the severity of symptoms. Working with colleagues from Amsterdam, they have already substantiated the clinical relevance of their results: Irritable bowel symptoms improved after treatment with an antihistamine known for its immune-stabilizing effect in the treatment of allergic reactions such as hay fever. Thanks to funding from the German Research Foundation (DFG), the scientists are now investigating whether the improved symptoms are accompanied by a normalization of nerve activity.Successful identification of the active components could enable the development of effective drugs to treat irritable bowel syndrome. Even now, though, the TUM team have made life easier for many IBS patients, in that they have shown that the chronic disorder does have physical causes and is not merely "in their heads."Just thought this might be of interest

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
This is like a Unified Field Theory. Thank you for posting this.Mark

·
Registered
311 Posts
if u know where to look, u can find info that says, that when the stomach doesn't produce enough hydrochloric acid, the stomach over-produces gastrin & or histamine, in an attempt to get the stomach to produce more hydrochloric acid..........gastrin & histamine r produced 1st, as soon as even thinking about eating, because they r what gets the hydrochloric acid flowing..........without enough of it, the gastrin & histamine keep coming...........

·
Registered
307 Posts
Irritable bowel symptoms improved after treatment with an antihistamine known for its immune-stabilizing effect in the treatment of allergic reactions such as hay fever.
Looks very promising!:)What kind of medication is this?I got Hay fever, should I take my usual medicin each day and I may be free from IBS?Or do they mean the type where you take a pill each day for years to eventually make your body immune?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I am reading this right it almost sounds like there might be a way to "turn off" these cells with some sort of therapy such as an allergic person uses for insect stings--haveing two kids with that issue I can say that depending on the severity and circumstances of the "allergy" this can take awhile and there can be "setbacks" such as when a mosquito bite sends a highly allergic person into a full blown anaphylactic reaction---usually reserved for wasp stings. So YES the extended time using minute doses of the allergen DOES work but is not a cure in the first 15 minutes---very interesting theory tho and explains a few things about WHY this is not always an every day thing. Popping a Benadryl now since I have noticed this DOES help. Wonder if anyone can find out EXACTLY which antihistamine was used here?????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I am reading this right it almost sounds like there might be a way to "turn off" these cells with some sort of therapy such as an allergic person uses for insect stings--haveing two kids with that issue I can say that depending on the severity and circumstances of the "allergy" this can take awhile and there can be "setbacks" such as when a mosquito bite sends a highly allergic person into a full blown anaphylactic reaction---usually reserved for wasp stings. So YES the extended time using minute doses of the allergen DOES work but is not a cure in the first 15 minutes---very interesting theory tho and explains a few things about WHY this is not always an every day thing. Popping a Benadryl now since I have noticed this DOES help. Wonder if anyone can find out EXACTLY which antihistamine was used here?????
Yeah, I think everyone wants to know that. Too bad they didn't say, eh?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks very promising!:)What kind of medication is this?I got Hay fever, should I take my usual medicin each day and I may be free from IBS?Or do they mean the type where you take a pill each day for years to eventually make your body immune?
Dunno, I just pasted the entire article. It may be worth trying at least.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is like a Unified Field Theory. Thank you for posting this.Mark
I also confess my ignorance on what this means, Mark.Siea, allergies occur from the immune system overreacting to substances that a non-allergic body finds harmless, not the other way around. So taking allergy medications do not make anyone immune to anything. They are designed to lessen the overactive response.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
As you know, journ, the Provex seems to work on the inflammation in the GI system, which I presume keeps my symptoms controlled. Mentioning inflammation has always marginalized this kind of treatment towards the IBD end of the spectrum, in spite of the fact that there has never been a trace of blood in my stools, other than the hemmie stuff and just plain too much wiping. I know eric and others have brought up the role of mast cells, and an histamic response has been mentioned in the past; but I don't recall any linkage between histamine and serotonin before this, let alone one that also included inflammation. What I tried, without success, was to get eric to address how those grape flavonoids could have an effect upon serotonin, which was the building block upon which the whole "brain-gut" connection is based, and the central basis for the prescription of A-Ds for so many of us. If, as is at least implied by Professor Schemann, this "cocktail" can be responsible for both D and C (and presumably A and just plain pain), then we have a pretty direct link between inflammation to IBS through histamine and serotonin. Of course, this won't necessarily address SIBO and other anti-biotic created bowel problems--unless inflammatory traces can be found at the root of those conditions--but it will hive off a number of us into a group that can be addressed with anti-inflammatories, anti-histamines, and anti-depressants, depending upon how far back in that chain of cause and effect you want to take it. At least, that is how I read it.
Professor Michael Schemann's research team at the TUM Department for Human Biology has managed to demonstrate that micro-inflammations of the mucosa cause sensitization of the enteric nervous system, thereby causing irritable bowel syndrome. Using ultrafast optical measuring methods, the researchers were able to demonstrate that mediators from mast cells and enterochromaffin cells directly activate the nerve cells in the bowel. This hypersensitivity of the enteric nervous system upsets communication between the gut's mucosa and its nervous system, as project leader Prof. Schemann explains: "The irritated mucosa releases increased amounts of neuroactive substances such as serotonin, histamine and protease. This cocktail produced by the body could be the real cause of the unpleasant IBS complaints."The TUM researchers in human biology are blazing a trail as they follow this lead. Their current focus is to what extent nerve sensitization correlates with the severity of symptoms. Working with colleagues from Amsterdam, they have already substantiated the clinical relevance of their results: Irritable bowel symptoms improved after treatment with an antihistamine known for its immune-stabilizing effect in the treatment of allergic reactions such as hay fever. Thanks to funding from the German Research Foundation (DFG), the scientists are now investigating whether the improved symptoms are accompanied by a normalization of nerve activity.Successful identification of the active components could enable the development of effective drugs to treat irritable bowel syndrome. Even now, though, the TUM team have made life easier for many IBS patients, in that they have shown that the chronic disorder does have physical causes and is not merely "in their heads."

·
Registered
312 Posts
'' They have discovered mini-inflammations in the mucosa of the gut ''this particular line stands out and it combinds with the other health things that i have learned for examplefoods that cause inflammations•Oxidized cholesterol (cholesterol that has gone rancid, such as that from overcooked, scrambled eggs) •Eating lots of sugar and grains •Eating foods cooked at high temperatures •Eating trans fats •A sedentary lifestyle •Smoking •Emotional stress vegetable oilshigh-fructose corn syrupnow after you stop eating the foods that cause inflammation you also gotta eat the foods that heal your current inflammationas in eat lots of saturated fats and cholesterol rich foods to heal your current inflammation.http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/08/10/making-sense-of-your-cholesterol-numbers.aspxthis plan should stop new inflammation of the arteries from forming while also by eating high saturated fat and cholesterol rich foods reduce the current inflammation you have and protect your heart against it and there for reduce heart disease. it really should also do the same for IBS-D by reduceing the inflammation in the gut and there for healing IBS-D. note: inflammation, man made trans fats, hydrogenated oils and such cause heart disease. and not saturated fats or cholesterol.note: cholesterol drugs should also make IBS-D much worse just like it makes heart disease much worse so never take them.this similar theory worked for my IBS-D diet that i posted here its on page 1 and 2 at this link.http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?/topic/119213-cant-seem-to-be-able-to-enjoy-any-nice-food/anyways it would not surprize me if something simple like this is one of the main causes for IBS-D.because there are also simple causes and cures for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity which is cured by a healthy diet and some exercise and 75% of cancers is cured by sunlight as in vitamin D and probably healthy diet and exercise too.oh and about 5% of people with obesity need to fix there thyriod first before they can lose weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Antihistamine is a mast cell stabilizer used to treat Asthma. It is generically called Ketotifen and is sold in Can by the name of Zaditen, I don't know what it would be called in the states but just ask your pharmacist they will tell you. The article says it is not sure how this particular medication is working. Because there were still high levels of antihistamine in the IBS patients after treatment and mast cells did not reduce they think it may have to do with the H1 inhibitor (antihistamine blocking) rather than targeting the many mast cells -who knows maybe it fixes the neurological signaling from the gut. Interestingly enough, Zantac is also an antihistamine inhibitor but works on a different receptor (its an H2 inhibitor). I wouldn't go tinkering around with over the counter anitistamines though. This particular one is only available by prescription. I am going to ask my G.I. if he will put me on a course of it. What is interesting about this article is that it talks about IBS being caused by these mast cells but if I am not mistaken there is already a newly classified gastro disease called mastocytic enterocolitis. Not much literature is available about it, however, it seems there may be some overlap with IBS-D and this other disease. Perhaps, they are one in the same?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Antihistamine is a mast cell stabilizer used to treat Asthma. It is generically called Ketotifen and is sold in Can by the name of Zaditen, I don't know what it would be called in the states but just ask your pharmacist they will tell you. The article says it is not sure how this particular medication is working. Because there were still high levels of antihistamine in the IBS patients after treatment and mast cells did not reduce they think it may have to do with the H1 inhibitor (antihistamine blocking) rather than targeting the many mast cells -who knows maybe it fixes the neurological signaling from the gut. Interestingly enough, Zantac is also an antihistamine inhibitor but works on a different receptor (its an H2 inhibitor). I wouldn't go tinkering around with over the counter anitistamines though. This particular one is only available by prescription. I am going to ask my G.I. if he will put me on a course of it. What is interesting about this article is that it talks about IBS being caused by these mast cells but if I am not mistaken there is already a newly classified gastro disease called mastocytic enterocolitis. Not much literature is available about it, however, it seems there may be some overlap with IBS-D and this other disease. Perhaps, they are one in the same?
If you manage to get a prescription you should start a thread to document your results. I think that would be interesting, anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am going to ask my G.I. if he will put me on a course of it. What is interesting about this article is that it talks about IBS being caused by these mast cells but if I am not mistaken there is already a newly classified gastro disease called mastocytic enterocolitis. Not much literature is available about it, however, it seems there may be some overlap with IBS-D and this other disease. Perhaps, they are one in the same?
So did you GI agreed on putting you on antihistamine? Do you feel any difference?

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is very interesting. I suffer with lots of allergies - a cat allergy in minutes, dust allergy and pollen. I also have asthma and I often wondered if it could be a link or allergic response to something like that. I find this article very interesting, thank you so much for posting this information for us. FIngers crossed something will come of this for us all.Overitnow, I was wondering what happened to Eric. I haven't seen anything posted by him for a long time? It is also very nice to put a face to your name. Having spoken to you on here for years it is nice to see "you". x

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Overitnow, I was wondering what happened to Eric. I haven't seen anything posted by him for a long time? It is also very nice to put a face to your name. Having spoken to you on here for years it is nice to see "you". x
I am not sure about this, and I suspect enough of us have allergies that it would be commonly reported, but I think someone once posted about Claritin helping greatly with their IBS. As far as Eric, I only see his name very occasionally when he is announcing an event or phone conference. I know he has his own site and I know there was enough negative reactions to his postings that between them, I think he just gave up on posting here.As far as the picture, my wife has gotten an iPhone from work and she took this shot the other night. It was so simple to email it to me that I gave the old Photobucket process a try and viola!, it worked. It's dark enough that it doesn't show the bags under my eyes so I thought I would come out from under cover after all these years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.