Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been reading through some of the old topics on this forum and found out that there are others whom have a similar D trigger like mine. The trigger is that physical stress in the form of exercise, chores and other physical activities can bring on D. Many of those posts are quite old and there weren't any follow ups to whether or not they were able to overcome the problem. So I am hoping others who have a similar trigger can chime in on their situation and how they're dealing with it.I've read some articles on the forum stating that people with IBS are more sensitive to stress (physical or emotional), which can then worsen our symptoms. So I was wondering if there is a way to build up tolerance for the sensitivity. For example, usually after I do something physically related, like a few hours at the mall or a full day of cooking, I would feel exhausted. The next day, I would end up with a bad case of D. My initial reaction to this was to simply to cut back on physical activities so that I don't have to deal with the D, but I am growing tired of having to hold back on doing such simple tasks in life. So I am wondering if you can retrain your body to build up tolerance on physical stress and lower the sensitivity. I was thinking maybe I could take walks everyday and then gradually increasing the distance I go so that my body can adapt to it. However, I also fear that the D is a way my body is telling me to just rest/take it easy and that pushing myself would do me more harm than good. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this and many thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might need to do what some people with chronic fatigue type of issues have to do. Pacing is usually what I hear it called.Typically when people feel OK they tend to go and do until they feel bad, and then have a day or several of fall out.I think the trick is finding where the still feel OK when you are done point is. That may not be very much at first, but you may be able to do 5 minutes and then after a rest do 5 minutes again so you over the course of a few hours do a lot more than if you went at it for 15 minutes and then were done for the rest of the day.The trick is finding what that level is for you right now. Once you find what that level is you can then slowly and gently increase that. Maybe 10% a week. So if you can do a 10 minute walk each day this week without trouble the next day then do an 11 minute walk each day the next week. And for some things like I said breaking things into smaller amounts of activity with rest in between may be better than just keeping going until you think you are completely done.Unfortunately sometimes too little activity makes things worse over time, so it is finding that "just enough" amount and the slowly building on that which gets you back to being able to tolerate a more normal level of activity. Your body lets you know when you push it a little too much at any one time so you may have some fits and starts and two step forward, one step back kinds of situations, but most people can get some of that back.

·
Registered
311 Posts
yes, i know what u r talking about...........i have/had the same thing..........u might want to read all my other posts........i don't care what u want to call it, chronic fatigue, fatigue, whatever...........it is adrenal fatigue..........no 2 ways about it..........there r 2 main hormones that handle stress to the body.......they r cortisol & aldosterone........when the adrenals b come fatigued, u don't get enough of either.........it takes time & gets worse as it is not addressed........the lack of enough aldosterone is the one that causes D..........there is such a complex of things that go on with hormones in the body, it would take way too long to explain all of them to u...........aldosterone is directly responsible for the sodium concentration in ur body..........when under stress, ur adrenals start producing more aldosterone to handle all the things it's suppose to do to make it so u don't collapse..........it takes awhile for u to feel the effects, which is why it gets u the next day..........u r sort of at the beginning or middle of the adrenal fatigue........cause as time goes on, u react faster & as the adrenals become more fatigued, EVERYTHING stresses ur body beyond what u can handle & it takes longer & longer to recover from stress (life is stress)........so u end up in the flight or fight situation, 24hrs aday.......when aldosterone starts to b in short supply, it sends a signal to ur kidneys to start dumping sodium (sodium also is needed for the adrenals to recover at any time, i use sea salt-celtic brand)........ur kidneys start getting rid of sodium, u pee more & it keeps going on, till they recover or become drained..........if this goes on for long enough, it starts pulling potassium out too.......without enough sodium in the blood, u can't rehydrate ur cells, which leads to dehydration........b dehydrated even alittle & u will b damned tired & it makes it hard to think.........potassium helps to maintain muscle integrity.........not enough of that & everything from ur heart on down, doesn't function right.........potassium & sodium have to b in the right proportions.........now as sodium goes, so goes water.........the peeing!!.......here's one thing u can do, get some sea salt & the next time u r going to exercise, take some b 4, maybe during & after.........maybe 1/8th-1/4th tsp........if at any time after exercising, u start to feel the D coming on, take 1/8th tsp sea salt again.......by the way, don't use table salt.......it is next to poison........then get some kelp capsules at the vitamin store........u can take 2-5 of them 3-4x aday, that may help........i would try to find a dr who recognizes adrenal fatigue & treats it........alot don't or tell u it's something else & as u get worse during their treatment, they won't even say they r sorry.........& here's another thing, the adrenals & thyroid r intricately connected.......u can bet they r involved........ but even with all i've said, if u don't address this, IT WILL GET WORSE!!..........it effects the ability to think clearly, it effects the way u respond to anything, it effects the length & quality of sleep, muscle mass & recovery..........quality of skin & hair.........it effects all aspects of ur life & will, if left untended, will make u house bound, cause u won't b able to do anything w/o it causing exhaustion & D..........the D is just an indicator of the fact that something is skewed inside........read my other posts, they might help........hope u get the help u need.........it took me yrs to find a dr who knew what he was doing & treat it & i was on my way to my grave by then.........i'd been in classic adrenal fatigue for almost 7yrs, when i found him..........if u want my help, write to me directly thru this site.........that way i will know to look at it right now..........chris.....

·
Registered
311 Posts
oh, i forgot.........D is another way of ur body getting rid of sodium.........a very fast way..........also, say away from caffein........it's like kicking ur adrenals everytime u get some..........eventually, there is nothing left to get from that kick & it will put u down for days or weeks..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts