Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else ever gotten diarrhea from eating pistachiosim still new to the ibs thing, so im trying to figure out what foods i can eat and what i cant stilli was doing really really good with the diet, eating more fiber, etc. and then last week i ate a bunch of pistachios and ive had D ever since. anyone else ever get this from pistachios or nuts of any kind?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I can safely eat pistachios. I like them salted and roasted in lemon juice, and use them for between meal snacks. Also cashew nuts and hazelnuts give me no problems, nor do sunflower seeds. I assume nuts contain the good sorts of fats (not the saturated type) so they are less of a problem than other types of fatty food.It's so difficult trying to figure out what causes attacks, esp as my blood sugar crashes easily! Sometimes I can eat something like dark chocolate (high fat AND caffeine) and be fine, other times it triggers D that lasts all day. Maybe stress just tips the balance.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Walnuts and peanuts are killers for me. There is a certain, not so pleasant feeling I have gotten from walnuts since I was little. Peanuts just result in horrible gas. While they don't give me D, any more, they both certainly still cause discomfort in my stomach. Mark

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Nuts like pistachios are yummy, but... i usually just eat a little (defitely not a whole bunch), which is usually fine for me. But then, i'd be careful not to roast them too much -- they do have good, non-saturated fat but (too much) roasting makes the fat saturated, which kinda defeats the original purpose of eating nuts. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Here's what I go by:If a food bothers me consistently, I don't eat that food, or should I say, hardly ever!
Especially nuts! I love them, but just can't eat too many and only rarely. Popcorn is another thing that I've almost entirely given up. I try to be careful about eating more than one thing that may not be an easily digestible food, such as raisins, nuts, corn, etc. I can't ever eat corn! The last time I ate it was about 5 years ago, and I almost made a trip to the ER. Put it this way, I took 3 Bentyl!!! and did not touch the cramping. Thought I was dying. If you try something and consistently get the same bad result, cut it out of your diet, says I! But, what the heck do I know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.