Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI'm new to this site and have just joined because I'm so miserable I really don't know what to do.I've suffered from IBS for about 8 years - mainly from gas and bloating and really bad flatulance. It comes and goes though and I can go for 4/5 months being absolutely fine and then suddenly get an attack. I had been fine for ages and ages and then suddenly about 2 weeks ago it came on again. This time I went for a colonic as I do when it gets bad and that helped but only for about 2 days. It carried on getting worse (I was taking Colpermine as I always do but that wasn't helping) so I went to the doctors to get some blood tests in case I had some kind of gluton intolerance or something (although I rarely eat bread/pasta etc - I don't eat a lot of carbs in my diet in general). He prescribed Mebeverine which I thought was starting to help but now it has just gotten so bad. It starts when I eat something and my stomach fills up with gas really bad and bloats out and gets really painful and then I get bad flatulance. THis can last for a few hours and then it tends to calm down but as soon as I eat anything it starts again. I don't think it's my diet because like I said, I can go for ages with no symptoms (and eat all the things I am now)The last 2 days it has gotten so bad I've hardly been out the house. As soon as I eat even the smallest thing it starts. I've been lying on the sofa for 2 days with a hot water bottle on my stomach and I'm now so afraid to eat because I know what will happen when I do.Please can anyone help? I'm so miserable (and hungry but I don't want to eat)....

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
How about probiotics??? Have you tried them? Visit our Probiotics Forum for more info: http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showforum=40Also digestive enzymes might be a good thing to try with meals.. might help the bloat & pain.And use an antigas product (something with simethicone in it) with your meals Like Windeze.. sometimes these work much better when they are co-located WITH the food.Hope you feel better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probiotics helped me tremedously but make sure you buy a brand that specializes in making these products. I buy mine from a Health Food store. I use Udo's Choice and they need to stay refridgerated. I have not yet found any digestive enzymes that has made much difference but I am still trying different ones here and there. I am like you though; where the problem comes and goes, For me, it is more from day to day or week to week than months at a time but it drives you crazy wondering why one day you can be almost normal and the next day have problems eating basically the same foods. Recently, I have had a few weeks that have been worse than "normal" and I think it mostly due to work stress. I also take a low dose of anxiety meds on and off too which helps some. But when things get bad, I'm always on the look out for more ideas and things to try. Hope this helps you. Let me know how you are doing in a few days. The priobitics will take about 2 weeks or so before you notice an improvement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah you have to be careful when taking mebeverine, I realised that taking it every day can actually make symptoms even worse so now I only take it if I have a really bad flare up to help calm it down. I have IBS-C so I get loads of gas like you and inflate like a balloon whenever I eat something and I always feel really nausea's. I was taught by a colonic irrigation therapist a technique for removing air bubble in the bowels. If you are feeling really bloated draw yourself a hot bath and make a cup of peppermint tea. I usualy repeat the technique 3 times when I'm the bath and it really does help me feel better and relieve gas.Drink about a third of the peppermint tea when it's just cool enough to drink (the hotter the better) give it a couple of minutes then start to massage your abdomen with the tips of your fingers in a circular motion. You have to press down quite hard and make the circles quite big but hopefully you might find an air bubble (you can hear it and feel it when you find one). Once found keep massaging working your way down the sides of your abdomen (like your trying to squeeze the last of the toothepaste out of the tube) and it should dislodge the trapped air. You will normall start to burp or fart but thats how you know that you've dislodged the air bubble. Relax for 5 minutes then drink another third of the tea and repeat. I usually try to do this every 2-4 weeks (the first time I tried it there was ALOT of trapped air down there) and my nausea is relieved almost instantly and I dont feel as bloated. Hope you find something that works soon, I know how uncomfertable it can be

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.