Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on Meprobamate and Librax successfully for 20 years. The new GI docs won't even prescribe Meprobamate since it is a "controlled" substance. I have predominatly diarrhea IBS. Those of you out there with the same kind of IBS, please tell me what prescriptions work for you so I can be knowledgeable about this before I speak to a doctor. Lord knows the doctor won't know what might work for me and won't care about my pain, cramps and suffering.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you want something else for the anxiety you could look at Buspar which is a non-addictive anti anxiety med that sometimes is helpful for some with IBS.Some of the antidepressants, particularly the tricyclics can also be used for the pain as well as help you sleep at night if you need that. The tricyclics and the SNRI's tend to be constipating, the SSRI's tend to be more likely to cause diarrhrea (although everyone reacts differently and some go the opposite way).Remeron is a different kind of antidepressant that has some chemical similarity to Lotronex and a lot of people tried that while Lotronex was off the market.If you have severe diarrhea Lotronex may be an option if you are female. Some people will prescribe it for men, but a lot of insurance won't cover it and it can be expensive.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I use a grape based supplement designed for cholesterol anti-oxidation, called Provex CV. It has kept my D at bay for over 10 years. (I can pretty well guarantee that your doctor won't be interested in that, either.)Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a grape based supplement designed for cholesterol anti-oxidation, called Provex CV. It has kept my D at bay for over 10 years. (I can pretty well guarantee that your doctor won't be interested in that, either.)Mark
Thanks for the response. I have also found aloe vera capsules or liquid help tone the bowel. You are so right about Drs. not liking anything that they can't make money off of. I think all gastroenterologists should have to have IBS in order to qualify for board certification. If they don't know the disease they are treating then they have no idea what works and what doesn't.My latest attempt at a new GI doctor told me Miralax would not cause cramping or any of the side effects of other laxatives. I was stupid enough to try it and am just now getting over the flareup from Miralax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.