Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. Contrary to my screen name, I don't drink much coffee at all :(2. I don't think I have IBS3. I'm 25 years old. About a month and a half ago ( late feb) I started having issues in which I would get gas after(what I thought) was everything I ate. I THINK it might have started after a round of beans(ate too many, gave me lots of gas). In any case, I have been having issues with this for about a month and a half now. EXCEPT: -I've narrowed it down. It seems that it's carbohydrates that are giving me gas and not fatty or protein items. -I've had a strange constipation that doesn't really seem like constipation at all. It's happened 3 times now(on the third right now). In short, my stool doesn't seem hard at all. It actually has seemed like a fairly desirable consistency through all of this. However, I just simply CAN'T go or can go very little at all. It's accompanied by occasional discomfort but no significant amount of pain. In any case, it has cleared up after an enema each time(well, I haven't done an enema this time yet) -I've seen my general practitioner's NP and the NP at the gastroenterologist's office, however all I have gotten out of them is- NP at general practitioner's office told me to take some laxatives and the gas would go away- gas didn't go away, went to gastro, wants me to have a colonoscopyNow, maybe some people might just go ahead and have the colonoscopy done. However, I can't just go jump into that so easily. I have insurance, but it's an individual plan and it's not exactly the best coverage. The NP seems to be concerned about colon cancer(actually it seems like this is the real reason she wants me to have the colonoscopy done) because my grandmother on my father's side died of colon cancer at 39. However, my dad is 54, has had a few colonoscopies done and has never had any polyps found. As far as I know, colon cancer hasn't been a big problem outside of my grandmother. Also, my mother has celiac disease. I am on the GF diet simply because of the high probability that I either will develop it or already have it, however I do not really notice much change on the diet. It certainly isn't helping with this.I am not sure what to think. The NP did not seem to indicate that she was looking for any specific disorders other than to check for the possibility of colon cancer. To me, it seems that the source of the problem isn't in the colon, and it would be kind of disappointing to pay thousands of dollars just to have them tell me that they didn't find anything. OTOH, if there is a good chance that a colonoscopy will get them to a good diagnosis, and that's the only way to do it, then I'll have to cave. In any case, I was kind of thinking that you guys/gals here would be more experienced in dealing with doctors than I am, and would be able to impart valuable knowledge on how to deal with them, what to look for, what to do, expect, etc...

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
With your family history??? I wouldn't take the chance. I would go ahead and have the colonoscopy.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Why not get the blood test for celiac done?Are you 100% GF? Your family history does indicate a need for youto have a colonoscopy.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well given that carbs are the main thing bacteria in the colon turn into gas it isn't surprising that carbs are what cause gas.Some people can get some pelvic floor issues where the sphincter will not relax to let the stool pass, but I think that tends to be more all the time than once in awhile, but I don't know why it can't be intermittent. Also sometimes people get a sensation of needing to go when the rectum really isn't full enough to go and that can cause problems with discomfort.The gas and rectal discomfort don't really point to "not colon" or "not IBS" both are pretty common in people with functional bowel problems (most of which are not quite enough symptoms for IBS).Sometimes there can be SIBO, but you can get lots of gas from bacteria in the colon (the normal ones).Have you tried a probiotic? They do not reduce carbs down to gas, they stop part of the way I can greatly reduce my fart frequency with probiotics.Colonoscopy isn't a bad idea to rule out other things. Most of the celiac tests won't work if you have been gluten free for awhile. IBSers often have issues with wheat starch, but all the other starches and the sugars in beans can cause a lot of gas so you don't need wheat to have gas issues. Although a lot of IBSers cut out wheat for the gas issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried a probiotic? They do not reduce carbs down to gas, they stop part of the way I can greatly reduce my fart frequency with probiotics.
Yes, I've tried a few different ones. My gas seems like it is less now than when I first started having these problems, but the gas tends to vary anyway. It's hard to say if it is because of the probiotics or not. I really should have some kind of test done. Why haven't I? No real good reason, mostly because I am feel a bit skiddish about tests and doctors in general. Also, my mother had to be diagnosed with an endoscopy as she showed negative for the blood test. I am scheduled to see a doctor on the 30th, so we'll see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Just so you know...if you are eating 100% Gluten Free right now.. any blood test for Celiac will be inaccurate.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
All the best

1 - 8 of 8 Posts