Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyoneI'm new on here and just wanted to get some help from people who understand. I have had these problems for a few years now, but have got worse over the last 18months. I have had sigmoidoscopy which showed nothing wrong, does anyone know whether a colonoscopy can show something that a sogmoidoscopy doesn't? I really find it hard to accept the fact i have ibs, it rules my life so much and is really starting to ruin everything for me. I get scared to go out sometimes. I used to be really bubbly and outgoing and now i find myself being quiet and constantly worried i am going to have an attack of it. Please any ideas as to what to take or do to help will be very helpful.Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is only one thing that a colonoscopy sees that the sigmoidoscopy doesn't and that is crohn's.However IBS can be extremely severe, it is not true that IBS is no big deal and shouldn't bother anyone. If you have bloody diarrhea or abnormal blood work that shows inflammation you really need the colonoscopy. Otherwise you have to decide how much harm being told you are healthy after going through the prep and all that stuff will do to you. Many people find the stress of test after test just makes their IBS a lot worse.If you click on medications up at the top of the page in the menu bar there is the list of everything. What you may need will depend on your symptoms. There is no one size fits all for IBS. What makes diarrhea better tends to make constipation worse, etc.There are also over the counter things to try but often when people have severe IBS they need to find a doctor that will prescribe things. I don't know if your doctor will or not.If you find you have a big change in personality or attitude you probably also need to talk to your main doctor about being screened for depression or anxiety and what treatment that needs. Those can happen to anyone and often get triggered by things like illness. You may need to get treatment for that (either medications, and some also help IBS, or therapy).You might check the forums specific to whatever symptom is the one that bothers you the most and start with things that should help that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts