Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi K,Hope you can help!Do you know what a "Defacating Protogram, Anal Monography and Colonic Ring Test is and what it involves? (I believe these are all preliminary tests for the colon resectioning surgery?!)My doc's nurse told me these would have to be performed, however no further information was given to me.
I'm going crazy worrying about it. Do you know what Hirschsprungs (sp?) disease is, and how they diagnoze it? I think they may be looking to see if I have this condition.
Any information or web sites would really be appreciated. It's really stressing me out not knowing what to expect ... (great help for the pain too!!!!) I've been battling to get some information from my doc! (I guess it's a bad time of year to get much help due to the Holidays and the weather!!)
Hope you can help

G

·
see http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section1...ter261/261e.htm for Hirschsprung's DiseaseAlso from www.iffgd.org
quote: �Hirschsprung's disease There are actually two anal sphincter muscles: an internal anal sphincter that is part of the intestines, and an external anal sphincter that is part of the pelvic floor muscles. The internal anal sphincter normally stays closed to prevent the leakage of gas or liquid from the rectum, but when the rectum fills up with gas or fecal material, a reflex causes it to open to allow the bowel movement to pass through. The nerves that this reflex depends on are sometimes missing at birth, with the result that the internal anal sphincter stays tightly closed and bowel movements cannot occur. This congenital (birth) defect is called Hirschsprung's disease.
The tests sound like they want to find out exactly how well or how badly your rectum/anus are functioning (they do these types of tests sometimes for constipation even when they aren't doing surgery if I'm thinking of these correctly). This information may be needed for deciding on how to do the surgery or if other treatments may be needed/indicated.Surgery is a pretty severe measure (once it's done you can't really undo it) and they probably want to know as much as possible before doing it, and what additional treatments may be needed (like biofeedback to learn how to relax the anal sphincter properly--some people even when they think they are trying to relax it are actually tightening it up and training can correct that and surgery alone may not be enough in a situation like that).K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.