Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have seen things on this board before about this, but cant quite remember. I have had these kinds of stools before, but this time, i have had them for 3 days straight. When i go, i am straining, and out comes these long, pencil thin stools. I am also on my period(sorry guys) So i dont know if it could be related to that or not. Drives me nuts. I feel so constipated. Could these pecnil thin stools be from straining???? Please somebody fill me in!!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Cookie, So sorry you aren't feeling well. Yeah this could be related to hormones. Some of us experience flare-ups during that time of the month, as well as other times. (see the thread on this page entitled "Hormones & IBS")Straining isn't such a great thing to do, but I doubt it 'causes' thin stools. Your colon may just be in spasm. Hopefully this symptom will fade in a few days. Til then you might want to try upping your fiber a wee bit and getting some exercise. Make sure you drink enough water too.Unfortunately this symptom is fairly common in IBS. Hope you feel better soon.BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Cookie, So sorry you aren't feeling well. Yeah this could be related to hormones. Some of us experience flare-ups during that time of the month, as well as other times. (see the thread on this page entitled "Hormones & IBS")Straining isn't such a great thing to do, but I doubt it 'causes' thin stools. Your colon may just be in spasm. Hopefully this symptom will fade in a few days. Til then you might want to try upping your fiber a wee bit and getting some exercise. Make sure you drink enough water too.Unfortunately this symptom is fairly common in IBS. Hope you feel better soon.BQ

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cookie, unfortunately the pencil thin stools are an unwelcome symptom of IBS. While your period may have a little to do with your bm habits, the thinness is something that can't really be helped. Like BQ said, I doubt that straining would cause thinness since the muscles used to eliminate don't cause the formation of stools. Is there abdominal pain associated with it? I used to get these awful cramps (not quite as strong as D cramps) and then have these painful, thin, soft bm's afterwards. I stuck to taking fiber, drinking adequate amounts of water, and avoiding foods that would cause my colon to spasm thus making me cramp. You may also look into getting an anti-spasmodic medication from your doctor if natural anti-spasmodics such as peppermint don't work for you. I hope that you get to feeling better soon!Ashley

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cookie, unfortunately the pencil thin stools are an unwelcome symptom of IBS. While your period may have a little to do with your bm habits, the thinness is something that can't really be helped. Like BQ said, I doubt that straining would cause thinness since the muscles used to eliminate don't cause the formation of stools. Is there abdominal pain associated with it? I used to get these awful cramps (not quite as strong as D cramps) and then have these painful, thin, soft bm's afterwards. I stuck to taking fiber, drinking adequate amounts of water, and avoiding foods that would cause my colon to spasm thus making me cramp. You may also look into getting an anti-spasmodic medication from your doctor if natural anti-spasmodics such as peppermint don't work for you. I hope that you get to feeling better soon!Ashley

·
Registered
155 Posts
I admit I started my period today...ewww...lol...but I have the same problem w/the pencil stools...they are either skinny or they are just pebbles...its really irritatin...but my bowels are the most normal when i drink alot of water...if i dont i have strain to much...and thats not good for you...i get hemmoroids too often...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I admit I started my period today...ewww...lol...but I have the same problem w/the pencil stools...they are either skinny or they are just pebbles...its really irritatin...but my bowels are the most normal when i drink alot of water...if i dont i have strain to much...and thats not good for you...i get hemmoroids too often...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.