Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Over the past two weeks I have been experiencing symptoms I believe could be IBS. I have always had a bit of a dodgy tummy and at times have had bouts of diarrhea, particularly when drinking/hungover.About two weeks ago I had a pretty drunken Friday evening, and on Saturday was experiencing diarrhea. However, this hasnt really gone away, and I have accompanying symptoms. I have quite a lot of gas, and I am also experiencing this constant gurgling in my stomach - pretty much 24 hours a day. I am also getting stomach pains now and again. Sometimes like a dull ache, as if ive eaten too much, and sometimes a little stabbing pain.Im trying to eat well and get a lot of fibre, eating banana's, and fibre bread etc, and I thought I was better. I had a good weekend and my bowel movements were pretty normal, if slightly loose, but as ive woken up this morning im experiencing diarrhea again.Its really affecting my day-to-day life, and it might sound relaly silly, but I keep crying about it. Im quite stressed at the moment, and I cant go to the doctors to see what he says, as im in America at the moment and dont have health insurance.Ive read that IBS is related to stress, and I do feel like I have high levels of stress at the moment.I am also struggling with eating in general. I feel a little nauseous, and my throat feels quite tight. I seem to be eating more for filling myself up than any enjoyment of the food.It is also making me nervous to go out in public, as im scared I may have an accident - although I havent experienced anything like an accident in my house yet, so there is no reason for me to be worried.I hope you may be able to give me some advice, how to live with it on a day to day basis. I dont have a job at the moment, but I cant even imagine having to go about a 9-5 job with how I am at the moment, but maybe thats just be overthinking things.Thank You.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well with only two weeks worth of symptoms.. I doubt a Dr. could even diagnose IBS. But it sounds like your gut .. for whatever reason.. is a bit upset. Have you tried taking a calcium carbonate supplement? (Calcium carbonate can help firm up loose BM's. But it is important to get the right formula as too much magnesium can give one D.) Here see this thread for more info:http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?s...t=0&start=0And here is the list of ingredients the proper formula should have from that thread:Vitamin D 200 IUCalcium 500 or 600 MG (This should be calcium carbonate form)Magnesium 40 MG (No more than this amount because magnesium will cause you to have DIARRHEA but because calcium is constipating the magnesium helps to counter act that effect)Zinc 7.5 MGCopper 1 MGManganese 1.8 MGBoron 250 MCG.Also you may have just irritated your gut and it just might take a bit for it to calm down... or you irritated it and also have a slight viral thing going on etc.... Or your gut bacterail balance is off for whatever reason. (Taking a probiotic may help restore that balance. See our Probiotic Forum for more info.)Could be any number of fairly simple things going on. Use an antidiarreal medicine. I use imodium tabs because they are easy to cut in half when one whole tab is too much. So try one of those type meds when having diarrhea. And of course.. best bet... stay away completely from things you know set your stomach off. (Like I would not drink any alcoholic beverages until this calms completely down for ya.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
People need to do research and realize that this is all ABOUT SERATONIN. If people did a google search about seratonin and IBS and estrogen, you'll find that there is SOOO MUCH that doctors do not know, but has been in research papers. 90% of seratonin exists in your colon, which is controlled by your brain. When estrogen levels decline, seratonin is not produced and therefore, your colon is missing the needed seratonin to function. That is why some doctors in bigger cities are prescribing anti-depressants for IBS. They inhibit the parts of the brain that produce seratonin. Thus... more seratonin, more normal COLON!!! I would try St. John's Wort before paying for big $$ prescriptions. Just google some of the stuff I've mentioned here and you'll be sooo surprised. Yes, IBS and anxiety work hand in hand, but the underlying cause is the seratonin levels!!!! ohmy.gif

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
gogo I realize you are new here but what you mentioned is NOT new to us. Please explore ALL of our forums for much more info and Welcome

1 - 4 of 4 Posts