Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive suffered from IBS for many years now, and after suffering very severely a few months ago came accross the Heather VanVorus website ...com, which listed 'good&bad' foods. I am strict vegetarian anyway so usually eat healthily, wholemeal bread etc but do often find even a simple salad can leave me very bloated. So ive since been eating a lot of white bread & pasta as suggested in Heathers website, but im now more confused and probably unhealthier than ever... I have become so bloated I look as though Im carrying triplets and about to pop!! I feel so lethargic, unhealthy & heavy I just dont know what foods to eat, or where to get help as doctors are useless.
Im 23 & fairly active but i've never been so bloated before, im now so concerned... PLEASE someone help me if you can!!
ANY advice is much appreciated, thankyou x

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Different individuals have different reactions to various foods. Trial and error is the only way out. You could be fructose intolerant if slads leve you bloated. In the white bread was there high fructose corn syrup? Veggies , fruits, high fructose corn syrup, whole wheat, lentils pulses, essentially anything vegetarian except soy and cereals generally other that wheatones contain fructose. You can get a fructose intolerance hydrogen breath test done to determine this. Follow the link in my signature for more info although it is a rather long thread.

·
Registered
348 Posts
linziWhy don't you post your querie on the boards at ...com?A lot of the posters on those boards are following Heather's diet and therefore will probably be more able to give you advice.However most of us with ibs cannot tolerate raw vegs, salads and many fruits - but then all this information is on her site and then as Bonnei said, we are all different and what helps one person could be poison to another!You do not say how long you have been trying Heather's advice - ? Also, have you added a soluble fibre supplement?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Linzi, Are you IBS C or D. I am C and I have had this for many, many years. I just turned 30 and I have had a terrible few years with this. I too recently started following Heather's diet. She has great information and I believe that her theory works well for a lot of people, but it did not work for me. I bought her Acacia Fiber and used it for about a month. I watched what I ate and stuck to her choices, I was so bloated that people thought I was pregnant and I am a very active individual. Up until a few months ago I ran 3 miles a day for 6 days a week. I was in terrible pain. I am not much better, but being on Heather's fiber and diet really was worse for me. Try very small meals. Even if you are still hungry, try to save the rest for later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.