Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I have a terribly embarassing question, one I've been wanting to ask for a long time, but was too embarrased to ask, I probably won't be able to show my face around here agian but here goes. As many of you know I have IBS-C and when I have a BM I KNOW that not all of it 'comes out' cause I can feel it in there. No amount of pushing, waiting, straining, grunting whatever will make this come out. It's right in the 'end' of my rectum,so I gently kind of pull it out with my finger. I KNOW this is sooo disgusting and something I could never admit to anyone, much less my doctor. My question is, am I going to hurt myself by doing this??? I have a lot of anxiety about this and feel like its dirty and gross, but I only feel better when I get it all "out." I'm really embarassed about this, and would really like anyone's thoughts if your not too grossed out to talk about it. I figure if I can ask anywhere, you guys would be the ones to ask.Thanks[This message has been edited by JillAnn (edited 02-04-99).]

G

·
Nothing can be too gross with this "disease" and we're all basically in the same boat, so don't feel embarrased.Anyway, when I have the big "c" with those little hard "rabbit pellets" I sometimes have to "maneuvre" some out from the outside, 'cause I can actually feel them sitting there. But, I think if you sanitize your hands before you do this, keep those nails short, and don't go in to far or to the point of pain, there is nothing wrong with it. If you're really worried, just ask your Dr. That's his/her job!![This message has been edited by mine (edited 02-04-99).]

G

·
I agree with you, I think it's pretty common with IBS - read Dr Salt's book. He even mentions it and that some people have to use their finger,etc. After I read the book I felt a lot better about my 'weird' observations, habits and strange happenings in my gut. All had been my secrets and now I know other people experience them too. By the way, I just found Dr. Salt's book at my local branch of the public library! I hadn't even looked there before I bought it. i'm glad I bought it though, I can refer back to it anytime. karenr

G

·
i have the same problem, thought is was due to taking too much immodium. dont be embarresed here were all in this together

G

·
JillAnn - Besides having this embarrassing disease, I have three children, two cats, a dog and a husband. I doubt there is any embarrassing thing you could say that I haven't already seen/heard. In fact, I could probably gross YOU out. Anybody who has cats and dogs together - where the cats use a box and eat too fast - could write a BOOK about gross! I've never had to do what you've done, but I say - whatever works! I assure you, I'd do if I thought I needed it! Thanks for sharing.

G

·
JillAnn, I'm sure that your embarrassing situation is more common that you think. I myself have been there, done that! BRAVO and a big pat on the back for you. Not only have you released your own stress but have helped others with theirs. I don't know about what it does to you but I'm glad you brought it out into the open. We are all in this together as you no doubt have already learned. Thank you again.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You do what you have to. Alot of us have to do that without feeling ashamed or "not normal". I have accepted that this is how my body is and deal with what comes and not try not to feel embrassed about anything I do to make life alittle easier. That goes for some people who have to wear panty liners, diapers for traveling, or using your fingers. Good Luck All We put alot of stress on ourselves because we Think some things we do are not normal. They are normal for someone who has IBS! Don't compare to others who don't.

G

·
Don't be embarrased at all! In fact, us nurses sometimes have to do this to patients who are extremely constipated! (I have not had to yet, thank god!!!) As long as you keep your nails short, and wash your hands very well afterward, there should be no problem. I think all of us here have had to do really gross things because of our IBS, things we thought no one would ever do. Gosh, isn't this a fun disease??
K

G

·
Greetings , this is Nothing to be embarrased about. Here is something to Help you :Get a baby bulb syringe and fill it with luke warm water and insert it into the rectum.deploy all the water and hold it for afew seconds. This usually helps to relieve all the stool that remains inside after a bowel movement. Hope this helps.Sincerely , Cody

G

·
JillAnn: I too have this problem and one way that I help myself is sitting in a hot water sitz bath after a bm; with my feet elevated on a foot stool and moving from front to back about 10 to 20 times: this often helps to remove two much narrower parts of my bm. Thus I am able to have a complete bm. Sometimes when I have eaten things I wasn't supposed to or I did'nt drink enough water, I do have impactions and those have to be removed digitally. belle

G

·
I suffer with constipation and sitting there can just cause you to get hemorrhoids that bleed. Not fun and very painful.Do you use a stool softner? I take 2 Colace pills a day plus drink about 50-60 oz. of water. Keep the stool soft and it will come out easier. Also drink Citricul (l Tbl) once a day. It all this fails, you may need either an enema as others stated or a tablespoon of Milk of Magnesia. I eat alot of raisins and dates, apples, shredded wheat, lots of fiber. It keeps the stool softer. I must admit that often when I have a BM I still feel there's alot left. It is hard to get completely emptied out. What mystifies me is ususally I haven't eaten that much, so why is there so much to expel? The best I felt was right before my Barium Enema and I had done the big clean out the day before. I felt like I didn't want to eat again and keep my wonderful "virgin colon" emtpy and clean, not a bother! Too bad we can't do that!! Best of luck, Chloe

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everybody for responding!I don't feel QUITE as anxious about this thing and I feel if I HAD to, maybe I could ask my doctor. Don't know, still pretty embarassed about it. At least I don't feel like I'm the only one who has ever done this!Thank you all so much for your support. I really needed it.Jill

G

·
JillAnn: Please look at Dr. Salt's book - the chapter on constipation. He recommends a specific technique for women to use that might help you. I won't go into details here. There are a few other techniques and over the couter medications he mentions that might help you! KarenR------------------

G

·
Hi. This is my first time at this sight and I am so relieved that I have found it. I have been in the bed for five days now. I also suffer from the c-type and my rectum hurts really bad. The only way I can have a bowel movement is to really use my finger. I have not been to the doctor because I am really afraid of cleaning myself out because of the pain in my rectum. I get the d-type when I come on my period but it drains me and I am still constipated when it's over. I am going to order the book but in the meantime, what should I do?

G

·
Maria: Definitely get the book, it's in many public libraries. You could check it out until you get a copy of your own. I , too have rectal pain. I've found Anusol suppositories help alot. I don't use them all the time, just when I really need them, as they're kind expensive. They seem to soothe things for quite awhile. I also use vaseline, as it soothes and helps with BMs. Hope you find some help on this board, I sure do. Daily. Karenr------------------

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow! The more I read, the more I realize Iam not ALONE! Not to mention a hypochondriac! It is so frustrating to not ever feel like your colon is clear! I can have a bowel movement that seems complete, but then 30 minutes later, I have terrible gas and pain again and I haven'teven eaten anything. There has got to be a better way of living!Kathy

G

·
I have the same problem. Here's what works for me. Go to the pharmacy, and get an infant enema syringe. (This is a rubber squeezebulb with a long narrow tip.) It holds 3 ounces of water. Fill it with LUKEWARM water from the tap, insert the tip into your anus just a little, and squeeze gently till the syringe is emptied. Repeat until you feel the urge to go, then, ... go
If the tip irritates you, use just a little K-Y jelly or Vaseline as a lubricant. You don't have to push the tip all the way in. Even if you only insert it 1/8 inch, if it forms a mostly watertight seal, it's enough. Less is better.Filling your rectal cavity like this gives you some "filler" to help force the leftover stool out. It also has the advantage that you don't have to use a finger or anything else larger than the tip of the enema syringe; typically less than 1/4". If you've got a bleeder, it's really a help, since it removes the solid irritant from your rectal cavity.WARNING: Be very careful not to put hot water in yourself. Pay attention!!! The butt you save may be your own
Slightly cool to the touch is warm enough.bob[This message has been edited by musem (edited 03-05-99).]

G

·
Hi Jill, Thanks for bringing up the subject. I thought I was the only one. I find suppositories work well, but not good idea to use them all the time. When I do the finger thing I put vaseline on it. Keeps the poo & smell from getting under your nail. That stuff is not easy to wash off. As you probably know. As aslo has been suggested a little water ...OR.... you could do like the constapated mathamatician and take a pencil and work it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.