Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at this forum for some time now and have finally plucked up the courage to join.Don't know if I have posted in right bit so sorry if I haven't.I really need help as I feel like I am going loopy at the moment.To sum it up in a nutshell:Up until 4 months ago I enjoyed excellent health until the recent death of my nan got me very stressed and then I got a very bad bout of salmonella which laid me low for over week. Since then I haven't felt right at all.Could you please tell me why I get the following:BloatednessTirednessNausea and sicknessWeight loss (have lost over a stone in weight due to feeling nauseaous and not eating)Urge to go to the loo after eating Abdominal crampsFeeling after eating that someone is sitting on my mid abdomen (occurs after eating)The attacks range between 5 weeks/7 weeks or just days. I have become intolerant to coffee (makes me bloated). Rich foods seems to make it worse and all attacks are 2 hours after eating and worse in evenings.I have been to my GP and he has done all the tests to find nothing but a raised protein in the blood denoting an inflammation. He has drawn a blank.Do I have IBS?Sorry for long post but I don't know who else to speak to.

G

·
I'm not 100% sure if it's IBS you have but have you been suffering from depression? I know that from my personal experience with depression I was always tired and didn't have any energy. With my IBS I do suffer from bloating, cramping, and going to the bathroom but it's unexpected and not always right after eating. And stress is what triggers a lot of that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ahh I have had the same experience also related to the deaths of one of my beloved. I know how you feel, and I can tell you right now that most of those symptoms are related to stress and depression, one from the death of your relative, and as well from the bad salmonella experience. Just relax and wait a while and feel better, it may take a while because some of what is happening to you is from something in your brain you cannot stop, but it will cool off eventually. Feel better

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Loulee I'm sure you know no one can possibly diagnose you over the internet. What diagnosis has your Dr come up with? Have you seen our "Symptoms" chart?Just click here: http://www.ibsgroup.org/symptoms

·
Registered
253 Posts
IBS is a "rule-out" diagnosis and if you have not had an upper and lower GI and stool cultures, I do not think you or your doctor can for sure say it is IBS. I think you need to follow up on the meaning behind the elevated inflammatory marker. That could indicate something else. How did you know about the food poisoning or is that a guess?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Loulee I also thought maybe your gut bacterial balance was thrown out of whack by the salmonella. You could try using a probiotic to restore that balance. A good probiotic is Align. It may not fix things for anyone overnight... but in time it could make a difference for you..worth a try anyway. All the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi and thank you everyone. :)I feel less of a loopy lou now.Hester I only made this connection with salmonella with what GP in Spain said and he prescribed Buscopan when I was unwell in March this year and he said it was salmonella also thank you for your idea on having a stool test.I am waiting another couple of weeks to see whether the symptoms return/continue, so far GP has ruled out the nasty 3: diabetes, cancer and thyroid - so thank heavens for that!!GP has told me to keep a record of symptoms and return to discuss. I will take on board all advice and also am now starting some probiotics.I realise that I can't get a diagnosis over the Net but came here to find out your views and experiences as this is a first having digestive problems.I will let you know how I get on and thank you for a useful, informative and friendly site.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Ballet what are your symtpoms?? Perhaps we can help you more if you give us more info about your symptoms?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.