Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: Sorry for the large Subject title. I am a 25 year old guy living in Arizona and am a sufferer for about 5 years. My life has come to a crashing halt as I (we) know it and am trying to keep my head up. I was wondering if IBS is more mind over matter. For instance, If I eat something, ie Pizza or french fries..I know im going down the next day for a good 5-6 hours. I will tell my girlfriend and myself this and sure enough it happens. Do you think we talk ourselves into having these attacks and bathroom bouts, because we are so used to it and come to expect it? IF anyone does think this way, what have you done to remedy the problem. Thanks for any input...and I would love it if anyone was a sufferer in Arizona I could speak too! Take care and stay cool....we have to in the 115 degree heat.Matt

·
Registered
28 Posts
while I do think that your emotions play a big part in aggrivating the situation, I also believe that if you tempt fate by eating food that is known to flare up the IBS then your taking your chances. The more stress related things that I have going on in my mind..will make it much worse. I just went to the doctor..and he told me to take Metamucil.. I am taking a tablespoon every morning. It helps with both the constipation, and D. I have went on a diet of Fish, and white chicken, and the noodles that you can get that are made from Veggies.. and took Fat almost completely out of my diet. Rice type cereals for breakfast with soy milk. and for a treat..you could try Horchata.. it is a rice milk, served over ice.. it and is very sweet and tasty.. But like I said..after the last few weeks of pain.. and the going between running to the toilet and wishing I could, I look at a french fry and cringe..LOL.. But the last week has been a lot easier, and I am sure if it goes this way for a while, my momory will lesson, and I will slip..and hopefully get by with it..LOL.. But as IBS sufferer's we know the consequenses..and it's up to us if we want to gamble.. wishing you all the best...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I certainly believe if you worry about going your going to go.But at the same time when i dont go i worry. make sense? hehe I have learnt the hard way also.But if it make you feel any better i ate pizza last night and i am DIEING today. My bad. Atleast i am at home. Trail and error. So, you know you are certainly not alone. Only remedy i can think of is dont eat it if your going out.Hope you feel better and keep your head up high.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
There is a very easy solution to this...don't eat foods you know will bother you. Then you won't worry, and if you are one of us that stress triggers IBS, then you won't stress too.For me, there are foods I have have if I know I am "ok" but the moment I am stressed there is no way.Btw...try different kinds of pizza. Sometimes it is the spice in the meat or sauces that is triggering you and not "pizza" itself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't stress. Sounds like what doctors say. "Take is easy," or "you need to relax." Here's one I particularly liked: "You seem high-strung." Indeed, the mere recommendation (or if the MD is serious, prescription) to relax only exacerbates my stress level because it angers me. Then I suppose my colon ties itself into a knot.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
You DO have to learn to relax. I know that sounds so trite, and yes, it used to anger me too. But, when I learned how to relax myself it DID have a huge impact on my IBS. And I don't mean just yoga or things like that. For me swimming relaxes me, bellydancing (and a component of that is relaxation), reading etc. Take your mind off of things that worry you, even for a bit.I read somewhere that people with IBS tend to internalize things; and put a brave front on for the world. I see that in myself for sure, and think I have seen it in many others with IBS. When we internalize what we worry about it DOES affect our bodies...IBS or no IBS. Its also like mind over matter....if you think negative all of the time, negative things happen more often. Even medicine says that laughter has helped to improve the health of patients.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hypno has been a great help in me retraining my thoughts. yes, there can be foods that trigger attacks for many people. but we can also talk ourselves into problems. fo rme this isn't just food but also situations. I am far more liekly to have problems leading up to a plane trip or a long car trip than if I am staying at home. why? because I've had those problems in the past. It can be the same for food too. There could very well be something in the food that causes problems. Or maybe not. Or like me, maybe sometimes. I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes I do believe that sometimes the food related attack is one we talk ourselves into. which is not to say it's all in our heads (if it were, we wouldn't be stuck in the bathroom!)nancy

·
Registered
164 Posts
If ever there was a condition where we could say "everyone is different", that seems to be true with IBS sufferers. I'm not sure I buy that you can think yourself into an attack, but it's certainly true that anxiety is a contributing factor. I think we all have certain foods we learn will trigger an attack. Pizza is not a good choice for a number of reasons. For me it's beef stroganoff (all that yummy sour cream!). That said, here is my summary of the twisted nature of this syndrome. I observe most, if not all of the dietary rules and can feel miserable. I flaunt the rules and sometimes feel normal. Go figure. I've spoken to other IBS-ers who shrug and say: "That's the nature of the beast." So far there isn't one answer that's going to work for everyone. Try to reduce the overall level of stress in your life, laugh off the low points, take your fiber (!!), and experiment until you learn what works for you. Take as few drugs as possible--I shudder at some of the interactions that must be going on from what I've read here.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Matt, I have been struggling with this exact issue an my IBS since it started. I'm replying now because this happened to me this weekend. Because i have gotten myself paranoid about food (i don't recommend this
) my diet is horrible and my doctor recommended that i take potassium supplements. So, i went to the pharmacy, picked up the prescription and read the "side effects" label. Of course in big bold letters it said "may cause stomach discomfort, nausea, and D". So i got completely freaked out by it and went home that night and talked to my boyfriend about it. He tried to calm me down (even showed me the side effects label on the drugs i take for my IBS that said the exact same things) and stood there while i took the pill. By this point, i had convinced myself of an attack, convinced myself i was going to get sick. So i went upstairs and got out my hypnotherapy tapes, sat on the couch, lit a candle, and let the hypnotherapis on the tapes (Mike) tell me to calm down. I was fine all night long. I've been taking them all weekend long and i've been fine so far (knock on wood). Ok - so the short version of that is try hypnotherapy. The program i used is referred to on the board as "Mikes' tapes" which is a self-hypnosis program you do in your own house and which is gut directed. They are really the only thing that has helped me with the anxiety of all this. I had gone threw the entire 100 day program previously, but used them this weekend as a refresher which mike himself recommends. Oh - and i also think there is something to be said for not eating foods you know have a really good chance of setting off an attack. I don't think any amount of hypno in the world would save me from the hell that would be caused from fries and pizza. Right now i'm trying to add back rice krispies.....
Anyway -- sorry that was so long but i hope it helped a little. You are definitely not alone in this!-Kac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.