Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am 24 yrs old & have had chronic idiopathic constipation for my whole life. My dr. thinks its because I was a premature baby & my colon was not formed correctly & he said I am definately a candidate for the operation. I have tried everything to get my colon to work properly (medicines,high fiber diet,colon therapy,etc) nothing has helped me! I am soo tired of feeling bloated & sluggish all the time. I know the partial colectomy is a very extreme procedure but I dont know what else to do! I just want to be "normal". I have done alot of research on the procedure but I would like any feedback I could get from anyone who has actually had the partial colectomy. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a temp colostomy, anastomosis,another colectomy and adhesion removal. After yrs of suffering I can only tell you that unless "absolutely necessary" don't have it. Because of the scar tissue that accompanies the surgery, After the last one my colon spasmed so hard that it punched through my facia leaving me with a dilated bowel. My surgeon then reffered me to a pain Dr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI,I AM NEW TO THIS GROUP, SO BEAR WITH ME. I TOO SUFFERED FROM CHRONIC CONSTIPATION FOR OVER 25 YEARS AND THE GAS AND BLOATING AND TERRIBLE PAIN. I HAD A SUBTOTAL COLECTOMY IN APRIL OF 1999, BUT I AM IN NO BETTER SHAPE THAN I WAS. NOW I HAVE DIARRHEA EVERY DAY AND THE BLOATING AND GAS PAINS ARE STILL THERE. I HAVE NO LIFE. I CANNOT PLAN ANYTHING OR GO ANYWHERE IN THE EVENING. IT SEEMS THAT EVERYTHING STARTS UP AROUND 5PM UNTIL ?I AM OKAY DURING THE NIGHT. VERY SELDOM DO I HAVE TO GET UP TO GO TO THE BATHROOM. BUT THE EVENINGS ARE BAD. IF I ONLY HAD TO DEAL WITH THE DIARRHEA IT WOULD BE ONE THING, BUT THE TERRIBLE ABDOMINAL PAINS AND BLOATING REALLY GET ME DOWN. I HATE TO DISCOURAGE ANYONE. BUT IF I HAD TO DO IT OVER AGAIN, I WOULD NOT.JAY

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
quote:My dr. thinks its because I was a premature baby & my colon was not formed correctly & he said...
I'm not sure this is true.
Welcome Trouble and Blue jays.Blue jays,your pain comes from the small bowel rigth(if you don't have a colon)?That's why i encourage small bowel motility study before the colestomy.Even the small pill camera to be sure nothing is going wrong in the small bowel leaving you with issue after a colestomy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI THERE,I DID HAVE A SMALL BOWEL STUDY BEFORE THE COLECTOMY AND WAS TOLD THAT EVERYTHING WAS FINE.BUT I STILL HAVE PROBLEMS. I THOUGHT THAT IBS WAS IN THE LARGE BOWEL? MAYBE I'M WRONG. SO WHY IS IT THAT I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS I HAD BEFORE THE COLECTOMY? I AM SO MISERABLE WITH THE BLOATING AND GAS EVERYDAY. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT NOW I HAVE DIARRHEA AND NOT CONSTIPATION. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE THAT HAD THE COLECTOMY AND STILL HAS THESE PROBLEMS. BLUE JAY

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
i know somewone blue jay.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
hmm....dammm!!I thought this could be a solution for pain gas. I could live with diarrhea. But if the pain does not go away it`s not worth to do such a surgery. Bluejay: How many bowelmovments do you have? And what type of pain do feel? Please tell us more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i am a new member you can call me aj. yes i can emphatize, and relate since i had a subtotal colectomy x 2 yrs. ago last March. it took quite awile to recover from it, and i still have trial and error of what i eat. since my surgery i am lactose intolerance. i still have the bad and good days, recently i am having bad days w/ bouts of cramping, bloating, and gas after i eat. i am going to get check for celiac disease, since i am the symptoms of it, and my mother was diagnosed with it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello mandabell25 i to suffer with chronic idiopathic constipation since childbirth was told by doctors not enough fiber, drink more water, your just stress, you have IBS, it is psychlogical, you need therapy. doctors from the old school did not take the time to listen or care. two yrs later, there was one GI who cared, and i had the stizs mark test, and it showed sever colonic inertia, the solution was subtotal colectomy. it takes time to recover, it is like your reborn of having normal bowel movements daily like most people, then when i thought this is normal for me to always be constipated, and lucky to have a bowel movement once a wk, or two wks. i slowly felt better w/ more energy, and the good news i lost 25 pounds which i was excited about, since i was eating healthy and drinking more water than i ever had, and exercising, but i was not losing weight, and i was so bloated like i was 4-5 mos. pregant. i was taking laxatives, prune juice the phosphate soda prep nothing work, i knew then something was wrong. i went in for a colonscopy, the prep i took the day after did not work, i was so obstructed, the scope could not go any further past my rectum, the dr. knew then i had and obstruction, but did not know where, so the sitz mark prove his prognosis. i was told it takes up to 5yrs to feel completely healed and healthy. i am lactose intolerance since the surgery, and i may have celiac disease since pastas, breads cause abdominal cramping, gas, and diarrhea. yes i needed the surgery to save my life, but i feel it has not cured me since i still deal with bad and good days. i hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gee I hope this sends right? I can't believe there is so much talk now on subtotal colectomy's! A few years ago I was one of the first people to mention it on here and now - it seems its getting 'common' Just wanted to let you guys know that I too had the surgery for colonic inertia and it is nearly 3 years since the op. It has taken away the pain I had prior but I have now developed chest spasms, diorrhea and CFS - never thought of that prior to the op. Still, having said that, i would do the op again. Will go re read some posts - its so huge this site now - its great!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a subtotal colectomy in 2001. I will tell you that it took me a long time to feel better. I had severe pain at times in the past 5 years after the subtotal colectomty due to severe scarring. I don't know what happened the last three months but I have had very little pain. It may take five years to totally heal from this type of extreme surgery. Would I do it again? No way. I have 2 beautiful kids and am 42 years old and my family has suffered because of my chronic pain issues. I am so lucky to still have my family intact. I pray to God that my pain is gone since it's been about three months since I have had a "bad day". I will keep you posted. Take care.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have not had the surgery as of yet because I have mixed emotions, on one hand I know i will "feel better" if I have the surgery but on the other hand it may take years for me to heal and actually "feel better". I think I will wait a bit longer and see how long I can live with my chronic constipation before it drives me to go have the surgery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.