Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 3 years or so i have suffered with what i am led to believe is IBS. It started to really kick off when i had my appendix out when i was 18 and a few years ago i also had my gall bladder out. The thing is im starting to get really down and depressed with it all.Before i started to get this investigated further i used to get really cramping bloating pains which could last anything from a few minutes to a few days i thought i had a bad stomach and my old employer would not send me for a OHS referral for ages as he said IBS is not covered under the DDA, and when i did finally push for a OHS appointment through work the nurse was really dismissive and im sure she thought i was swinging the lead.Since having my gall bladder out in 2008 my suspected IBS has gone worse, they have tried every investigation known to man! well it feels like that anyway and this has led to me having many conversations with my doc and finally he concluded that it most likely is IBS and gave me some medication.I find my IBS is triggered wth certain foods or certain cooking techniques and also stress and anxiety, i an go 2-3 months without a major attac just a bit of diahorrea here and there and pains which if i dose myself up are just about manageable through the day, however when i have a bad atack i set up camp in the bathroom, radio book etc as i am in ther all day, it is not nice to go through this at 25 and it is affecting my confidence i am a attractive outgoing social girl but when i have an attack i become a recluse my skin goes awful and i blat, plus the feeling of going the toilet is not good, i live with my boyfriend and when i have an attack i get so embarrased about using the toilet although he assures me it is fine etc.I have been in my current employer for 9 mnths and had 2 attacks, i have spoken to OHS over the telephone and advised them of what my GP thinks and they are geat but my boss wants the doctor to say 100% whether this is IBS or not so that he can support me more and if it is IBS then my attendance targets will be reviewed.He has asked me to get the GP to put this in writing, can you see any problem with the GP doing that?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Clare - Sorry to hear your story. It is horrible when something as seemingly innocous as your belly ruins your life.You have told us a lot about how you feel, but not really your specific symptoms/history.When you say you 'set up camp' in your bathroom, why is this. Is this because your have constant diarrohea, or because you are constipated?What meds were you given and how did this effect you? Have you tried modifying your diet? Also, what were the symptoms that preceded your gall bladder being removed, (that can often cause constipation, tarry black stools etc).I am not saying anybbody will give you the answer, but there are a lot of people on here who are better qualified than me, and may be able to offer some advice.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Clare what is your worst symptom(s) and what do you usually do to manage it/them?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts