Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,i know my question has no real definitive answer, but i need to get some valuable suggestions.briefly, i've been battling ibs-d & p since it got real bad about 3-4 years ago. i dropped out of college and went through my share of drugs, depression, judgemental friends & family, giving up, suicidal thoughts, severe symptoms, ...etc etc. anyway, i've improved enough over the past year to lead a productive life again, first getting medical help (which has only helped a little) and then enrolling in a local university for a semester. though it was a daily struggle, i did very well in school during the semester, and i was accepted to return to my former college for the upcoming fall. it will be the first time i'm returning to my school's area (pittsburgh,pa) since i left in the depths of ibs problems a year and a half ago. this is my last chance at this school as i am on final academic probation, and conquering this challenge is extremely important and personal for me.so i have one more dr's appointment before i head to pittsburgh next week to settle in. though i'm able to be productive these days, i still lose hours per day due to the D and Pain of ibs, and i'm still living a life full of high anxiety and stress over this. i'd like to ask my doctor to prescribe me something that has a real good shot of working, as some improvement with my symptoms would give me a real needed boost with this crucial semester looming. what might have a good shot of working?i'm currently on levbid and chinese herbs (from my acupuncturist, who works with my gi); it has had limited success, at best. i have also tried effexor xr, bentyl, calcium, flaxseed oil, fiber, acidophilus, and elavil- some with limited but substantial success, but none that really gave me any firm control of my symptoms. my problems, some D but mostly Pain and urgency, tend to be in the first few hours awake although sometimes they last throughout the day. anxiety and stress also play a huge role for me. oh, i also have started the hypnotherapy cd's but have struggled to move on cuz i keep falling asleep (i'm aware this isn't so unusual, i'll post about it in the ht forum later).so what might work for me? i know the possibilities are nearly endless. would remeron, or zofran, be good candidates for me? questran? please, the more advice the better, i really need some guidance on this one.thanks everyone, as always.methical

·
Registered
377 Posts
Methical-The only thing that ever helped the pain for me was Librax.It can be habit forming though,but if i was desparate,i would take it.Pamine helped slow things down a bit too.Now i have more constipation problems,so i don't take eather one,but they might be helpful to you.Good luck and i wish the best for you! :love:

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
methical, I am glad you doing the HT and falling asleep is not a problem.I am also glad you'll post to that forum. They take time to work, but can kick some serious IBS butt, so hang in there and let me know how your doing.Also, for the moment, make sure you do one thing at a time to see what works and what doesn't, this is important really. One treatment can mess with another sometimes and render one that was working less effective.I think your going to find some major benefits with the HT, just stick to it and the schedule. Its is a gradual process, so be patient and you should see some results long term.An antispasmatic may not be such a bad thing if your suffering bad at the moment and won't effect to much else you do.If you have any questions let me know.On the drugs it is just trial and error really what works and what may not. There are a few to try, but if you can hang in there and wait for the HT to work naturally, you may not need them and you may not have to go through any side effects at first from them, if you would even have any.

·
Registered
83 Posts
After having a severe IBS-D attack which literally lasted six weeks my doc prescribed Librax with an anti-addictive added to it. It took it for two months on a regular basis and became much better than I ever had. I take it now on an as needed basis. And actually I haven't taken it in a couple of months. It wasn't a cure but a very effective band aid which got me back in the swing of things. Hope things get better for ya.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Librax leaves you with terrible withdrawal if you don't wean yourself off of it correctly. I personally, developed a terrrible memory due to Librax. I use to have the memory of an elephant before taking that for years. I, my opinion, do not recommend Librax.What I have had great success with and would recommend is Remeron. At first you will be tired, this goes away. It worked EXTREMELY well for my IBS D. I think it is the next best thing to Lotronex. It is a non-addictive antidepressant. I do not suffer from depression, IBS D only, but as you already know it is a 5ht3 blocker. My system developed a tolerance to Remeron due to my high metabolism. My doctor says in a few months we could try it again.Zofran made my symptoms much worse. I tried Questran but I couldn't drink it twice a day. I have trouble drinking that stuff it makes me gag.For right now, I have had excellent results taking 2 Lopradomides a day. What is Lopradomide? Well, it's prescription Immodium.I too have did the Levbid, Levsinex, Bentyl, Librax, Robinul Forte, route. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Lotronex lover-You mentioned that Librax caused you to have memory problems?I have been having memory problems too and i never connected the two.If i go to the store and don't make a mental note of where i parked,i will be wondering around the parking lot searching for my car,even if i parked close!Do you think it is from the Librax?I was on it for 2 years and sometimes took 5 at a time at work if i was desparate.I averaged twice a week,not daily use.-Space Ghost-

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the suggestions, everyone. much appreciated.i'm going to see my doctor (at mind-body digestive ctr) in a few hours. i'm going to ask him what he thinks about trying remeron, or maybe zofran or questran. from this thread and others i searched, seems like remeron is a good candidate for me to try. i don't know how he's going to react though, from past experiences i have a feeling he won't like my suggestions. (whether it's because of what my suggestions are, or just because i'm suggesting something at all, i'm not sure)....anyway, it's my last appointment there for at least several months if not longer, as i am heading to prepare for the semeser afterwards. hopefully he'll be willing to prescribe me *something* to try out, cuz the levbid has been minimally effective at best.thanks again for the help everyone....methical

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Please let us know how the appointment goes and what the doctor decided.Wendi...I swear (for me) the Librax caused the memory loss. I still have a pretty bad memory and it started during the Librax days. Before that I had a great memory. I do the car thing too and other things. I have to leave myself notes in front of my door to remind myself of things. It is terrible.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Methical, I know they lean towards natural approaches to IBS pretty much. Tell them your doing the tapes though also. They will understand this.Also, if you do go on a medication let me know in the HT forum when you start it, okay.Let me know what the Mindbody center says also.Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know this has been mentioned before but Librax is the miracle drug in my opinion. When first diagnosed with IBS, by a different doctor that I see now, I was told to takeit when I had an attack (which was fine because it usually worked quickly)...but I had a lot of attacks. Now, under the direction of my new and improved GI doctor, I take it most of the time twice a day (once in the morning when I wake up and then again before I go to bed and then if I remember in the middle of the day I take it again)...it will prevent lots of pain and help with bloating too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.