Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of us are "C"s and some are "D"s and some are "C/D"'s and some just have GAS, but what I want to know is: how many suffer from bloating? Sometimes I think my "bloat" is from constipation...but even when I "GO", I still feel bloated. Do "D" types suffer bloat too? This survey only has four questions. 1. What type are you? 2. Do you still feel bloated even after a bowel movement?3. Do you take any fiber supplement. If so..what kind.4. Have you found anything that reduces the bloatiness or abdominal distension.Thanks in advance to all who respond> I'll go first.1. I classify myself as primarily a "C" type even though my stools are not hard. Just have difficulty emptying out.2. I still feel bloated, even after "going". My stomach doesn't look huge, just feel that way.3. I take a fiber supplement called Peridem4. No, I have found nothing to reduce this bloated feeling.------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose [This message has been edited by Rose (edited 11-06-1999).]

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
1. What type are you?Type D2. Do you still feel bloated even after a bowel movement?What? The bloating EVER goes away????3. Do you take any fiber supplement. If so..what kind.Not on your life... Just makes the bloating worse!4. Have you found anything that reduces the bloatiness or abdominal distension.Avoidance of trigger foods, and limiting carbs. One pretzel is all it takes... Since starting treatment for an ulcer, bloating is MUCH less, but then I fart much more! Good luck collecting this data. ------------------Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

·
Registered
773 Posts
1. What type are you? C, gas, bloating, sometimes D, NAUSEA, etc. I guess my ansewr would be C.2. Do you still feel bloated even after a bowel movement?LMAO!! That's a good one! Sometimes it feels worse.3. Do you take any fiber supplement. If so..what kind.Metamucel sometimes (I forgot to take it every day, so I stopped, but I'll still take it on occasion) & Senekot tabs (with stool softener) once or twoce a month. Those give me KILLER attacks in the morning, but at least I feel better once I get everything out.4. Have you found anything that reduces the bloatiness or abdominal distension.Just the heat of a heating pad (or hot water bottle, or bath), although that sometimes makes for worse nausea.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
1. Basically C (slow transit); except when yeast/preservative sensitivity acts up, then I have frequent soft, painful stooling. 2. I bloat when the second problem above develops.3. I use finely ground flax meal. Works better for me then the OTCs.4. If I stay away from citric and benzoic acid additives, and keep on my low sugar, no fermented/aged or white flour products, high fiber diet with acidophilis to keep the fungal problem under control; then I don't have the bloating or stooling problem. If this doesn't seem to do it, then I have to go back on Diflucan (antifungal).Rose, are you the one with fibro and proctalgia? ------------------[This message has been edited by moldie (edited 11-06-1999).]

G

·
1. Type D.2. Yes, very often.3. No, but I used to take Citrucel which often seemed to make the bloating worse.4. Not yet. Maybe if I starved myself.

·
Registered
254 Posts
1.type IBS-C2. Sometimes I'm not bloated after a bowel movement, if I empty everything out (rare!) but usually more bloated after the bathroom attempt3. No fiber, doesn't do anything4. eating frequent small meals helps with bloating sometimes and avoiding carbonated beverages at all costs![This message has been edited by wishicouldgo (edited 11-07-1999).]

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Rose and everyone else:(1) I lean more towards C, although lately havent been C. My problem is cramping, and then when I cramp skinny stools.(2) Do I bloat? Yep, sometimes more than others. If I am bloated having a bm doesn't help.(3) I'm using FiberSmart and, sometimes, Flax meal.(3) I really think the FiberSmart is helping to keep the bloat down. Also, like (I think Moldie)mentioned, am eating smaller meals, I stay away from white, enriched flours and use all whole grains. Other things I've done lately which may be helping are: cut my coffee down to 1 cup in the morning, am taking enteric coated peppermint capsules, am drinking chamomile, peppermint and Pau D'Arco tea (an herbal tea I just recently read about). All are supposed to be good for IBS. Have just bought Slippery Elm Bark capsules and am going to try them.Also, boo hoo, boo hoo, I am not drinking. Didn't drink much before but I did like my port wine on Friday nights. Or peppermint schnappes in hot chocolate. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

G

·
1. D2. Sometimes3. Yes, an herbal supplement4. Not entirely. Omitting flour, sugar, carbonated beverages and eating small meals helps somewhat

G

·
1. Type D2. Not often3. Equalactin4. Small meals------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm "D" and yes, I'm always bloated, no matter what. Fiber for me??? No way!!! I look pregnant as it is, I don't need to take anything to make me look even more bloated. It doesn't matter what I eat; as soon as I get up in the morning my belly starts to swell. I look like a pig.
I don't think there is anything a person could take to get rid of the bloating.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'm not very good at paying attention to my body but here goes...1. I am a D type2. I feel bloated much of the time I think it is gas3. No fiber supplements4. I feel my "best" after 2 cups of coffee in the morning and a successful trip to the john...then I am okay for several hours *most* of the time------------------Happiness is a warm puppy. -Charles Schultz

·
Registered
699 Posts
Rose, I am exactly the same as you are!I avoid pop, caffiene, chocolate, greasy foods and sugar. The sugar is extremely hard for me. If I eat it I usually do it in the evening so I don't pay for it all day.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1.I am both C&D 2. Sometimes but not always3. equalactin (sometimes)Fiber in food4. Small meals,papaya enzymes,and laying downThe distension has never totally gone away for me,but I don't get bloated all the time,just sometimes------------------ http://webpotential.com/ericibs/index.htm

G

·
Rose,thanks for initiating this topic which is quite a problem. Hopefully with your survey we can find some help.Now my response:1.Primarily C. I had been alternatinly C and D but once I began taking Bentyl and fiber,I was cured of the D. 2.Yes and I get bloated at many other times.3.Citrucel-I have built up to one teaspoon aday.4.No, I have not found a solution. while eating smaller,more frequent meals helps and avoiding raw vegetables,fruits and whole wheat helps, I still get terribly bloated and distended.When I am bloated and distended,it can take hours or a day for this to subside. Lying down helps but it can still take hours.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Mostly D type, no bloating, but fairly frequent nausea. Every dr. I've ever seen prescribes fiber--tried Citrucel, Fibercon, Metamucil, Equalactin. All cause instant cramping and purging that goes on for days, no matter how little I take. [This message has been edited by zigmissus (edited 11-07-1999).]

G

·
1. What type are you? C2. Do you still feel bloated even after a bowel movement? No, I always feel about 5 lbs lighter.3. Do you take any fiber supplement. If so..what kind. Psyllium drink / herbal vitamins 4. Have you found anything that reduces the bloatiness or abdominal distension. Eating small amounts of food.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Rose -I'm "D".I used to be bloated until I started taking the Caltrate Plus.And yes, I still felt bloated after doing a BM.I do take a fiber supplement - Metamusil.I found nothing, other than my success with the Caltrate Plus, that alleviated the bloating.Hope this helps.

G

·
1. I'm type "D" mostly with occasional C2. I feel bloated all the time. I can't wear any type of tight clothing because my gas pains get worse and I bloat up even more. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to wear any clothes.3. I take 1/2 a fibercon tablet a day4. glass of hot water and sugar, chamomile tea, hot water bottle and lying down in a fetal position helps me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts