Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Pobiotics-Good or Evil

371 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike NoLomotil 
#1 ·
Read so much about these are they good for you or not.All the blurb makes them sound as they are the answer to all my prayers.Anyone had experience of them?

See less See more
#4 ·
I have had good success with Culturelle. For me it has controlled intestinal gas. It also has helped when I get D (not often). Culturelle is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It can withstand stomach acid (which can kill the friendly bacteria). It can be taken at any time with or without meals and is Not kept in the fridge since there is no need for this.If you decide to use a probiotic be sure it can withstand stomach acid. If it can't, do not use it with food. Also know whether it needs refrigeration or not. It is my understanding that the body may initially produce more gas with Culturelle and then gradually helps relieve this problem. For me it just help control gas.It takes a few weeks to really work probably longer. I take what the label recommends, once a day for Culturelle.I can't find Culturelle in stores, it's there someplace, so I order it by phone. You can find out about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html
Vikee

#5 ·
I have had good success with Culturelle. For me it has controlled intestinal gas. It also has helped when I get D (not often). Culturelle is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It can withstand stomach acid (which can kill the friendly bacteria). It can be taken at any time with or without meals and is Not kept in the fridge since there is no need for this.If you decide to use a probiotic be sure it can withstand stomach acid. If it can't, do not use it with food. Also know whether it needs refrigeration or not. It is my understanding that the body may initially produce more gas with Culturelle and then gradually helps relieve this problem. For me it just help control gas.It takes a few weeks to really work probably longer. I take what the label recommends, once a day for Culturelle.I can't find Culturelle in stores, it's there someplace, so I order it by phone. You can find out about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html
Vikee

#7 ·
I've had very good luck with reducing gas (based on the # farts per day) with Probiotica.Some of the hype is probably hype, but there is some evidence that they may help IBSers at least with gas production.There is also some evidence they may help people recover from GI infections so overall they seem to be a good thing.But like anything your mileage may vary. Intestinal ecology is a complex and highly individual thing so some people may find that only certain products work for them and some products may upset the GI ecology making thing temporarialy (usually) worse.There is little or no evidence that they will do you any harm, so the risk of using them is low.K.

#6 ·
I've had very good luck with reducing gas (based on the # farts per day) with Probiotica.Some of the hype is probably hype, but there is some evidence that they may help IBSers at least with gas production.There is also some evidence they may help people recover from GI infections so overall they seem to be a good thing.But like anything your mileage may vary. Intestinal ecology is a complex and highly individual thing so some people may find that only certain products work for them and some products may upset the GI ecology making thing temporarialy (usually) worse.There is little or no evidence that they will do you any harm, so the risk of using them is low.K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.