Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my colonoscopy Tuesday, the doctor said he removed a small polyp and would let me know the results of the biopsy in a week or so. I was doing okay with this until today, when a close friend of mine said her husband had one polyp removed about the size of a pencil eraser and it killed him. (It had spread to lymph nodes.) I don't know why people do that. I know everyone is different, and mine's probably going to be benign, but I've been kind of worried ever since she said that. Right about now, I really could use some replies from those of you who have had polyps removed. It's hard to wait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On October 16th I had a colonoscopy done. The Dr. removed 2 small polyps. The week waiting period seemed very long. The end of the wait I was told that every thing was normal. Polyps were benign.I was some worried, like you. The result was a relief mentaly. I'm sure that you will find that you are OK too. I still have pain in the lower left abdomen area. IBS/adhesions, is what I'm being treated for. Mostly I treat myself. Search the webs and study the cook books, looking for help. ((((hugs)))) are on the way to you.
Wishing you well....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On October 16th I had a colonoscopy done. The Dr. removed 2 small polyps. The week waiting period seemed very long. The end of the wait I was told that every thing was normal. Polyps were benign.I was some worried, like you. The result was a relief mentaly. I'm sure that you will find that you are OK too. I still have pain in the lower left abdomen area. IBS/adhesions, is what I'm being treated for. Mostly I treat myself. Search the webs and study the cook books, looking for help. ((((hugs)))) are on the way to you.
Wishing you well....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I've had two precancerous polyps removed. My father has had two varieties of polyps removed. And friends of mine have had various polyps removed. I've never heard of a situation like your friend's husband's...must be very rare.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I've had two precancerous polyps removed. My father has had two varieties of polyps removed. And friends of mine have had various polyps removed. I've never heard of a situation like your friend's husband's...must be very rare.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had colonoscopies every year since 1990, with the exception of this year when I waited a year and a half. And, with the exception of this year, I had polyps removed every time (pre-cancerous). I now think that I will go 3 years for the next colonoscopy assuming that I'm feeling okay. As long as you keep checking at regular intervals, not the 5 or 10 years most doctors suggest, you should be okay. I would relax and pray for the best, but don't let the worries overtake everything else. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Phyllis

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had colonoscopies every year since 1990, with the exception of this year when I waited a year and a half. And, with the exception of this year, I had polyps removed every time (pre-cancerous). I now think that I will go 3 years for the next colonoscopy assuming that I'm feeling okay. As long as you keep checking at regular intervals, not the 5 or 10 years most doctors suggest, you should be okay. I would relax and pray for the best, but don't let the worries overtake everything else. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Phyllis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much, all of you. I really needed to hear some positive experiences! You guys are great!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much, all of you. I really needed to hear some positive experiences! You guys are great!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have posted this before not long ago but feel it is relevant to our discussions on calcium. Studies are showing that taking calcium helps to prevent colon cancer. I have had colonoscopies every 3 years for too long to remember. My first one was done because I was having heavy bleeding. The surgeon found a very large polyp and it was precancerous and we really "sweated" that one out until the results came back. Luckily it was harmless but from that experience he said I should have one every 3 years. Each time I have had a polyp. After reading the posts on this BB about calcium helping IBS I started taking the Caltrate 3 times a day. I had my last colonoscopy last February and for the first time I did NOT have a polyp! I asked my doctor if it could be because of all the calcuim I was taking and he said it very well could be!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have posted this before not long ago but feel it is relevant to our discussions on calcium. Studies are showing that taking calcium helps to prevent colon cancer. I have had colonoscopies every 3 years for too long to remember. My first one was done because I was having heavy bleeding. The surgeon found a very large polyp and it was precancerous and we really "sweated" that one out until the results came back. Luckily it was harmless but from that experience he said I should have one every 3 years. Each time I have had a polyp. After reading the posts on this BB about calcium helping IBS I started taking the Caltrate 3 times a day. I had my last colonoscopy last February and for the first time I did NOT have a polyp! I asked my doctor if it could be because of all the calcuim I was taking and he said it very well could be!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.