Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
OK, I don't know about esophageal polyps......But I am told that for my precancerous colon polyps, I need a colonoscopy every three years; nowadays, that seems to be the standard in the U.S. However, a nurse told me that some people might have to come in a lot more regularly, if it is felt that their polyps grow faster than the norm. I also have zillions of stomach polyps (so many that most of them weren't even removed); we think those are totally benign (another long story, though), so I probably will only have future upper endoscopies when/if symptoms get really bad - I think. I wonder why your doctor didn't tell you anything?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
OK, I don't know about esophageal polyps......But I am told that for my precancerous colon polyps, I need a colonoscopy every three years; nowadays, that seems to be the standard in the U.S. However, a nurse told me that some people might have to come in a lot more regularly, if it is felt that their polyps grow faster than the norm. I also have zillions of stomach polyps (so many that most of them weren't even removed); we think those are totally benign (another long story, though), so I probably will only have future upper endoscopies when/if symptoms get really bad - I think. I wonder why your doctor didn't tell you anything?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I wonder about that too. But they came across the polyps looking for other things, so maybe they forgot to to deal with that. Maybe he told me and I forgot. I am guessing I should be scoped shortly, its been a while.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I wonder about that too. But they came across the polyps looking for other things, so maybe they forgot to to deal with that. Maybe he told me and I forgot. I am guessing I should be scoped shortly, its been a while.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have stomach polyps and they are clipped when I have my colonoscopies, usually every year. This time around, I went 2 years and there were none. My doctor said I could go 3 to 5 years, but I said 2 years was my limit. I know they are slow going and they have been benign, but I ain't taking chances. Better to be a bit uncomfortable with the colonoscopy and prep and catch those polyps early. Phyllis

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have stomach polyps and they are clipped when I have my colonoscopies, usually every year. This time around, I went 2 years and there were none. My doctor said I could go 3 to 5 years, but I said 2 years was my limit. I know they are slow going and they have been benign, but I ain't taking chances. Better to be a bit uncomfortable with the colonoscopy and prep and catch those polyps early. Phyllis

·
Registered
340 Posts
Colonoscopy every 3 years for me because I always had a polyp in the colon. After reading on this board about the calcium I started taking it. My last colonoscopy showed no polyps at all for the first time. There are studies out that calcium helps to prevent colon cancer. I asked my doctor if the calcium could be the reason I had no polyp this time and he said it very well could be. So I'm sticking with the calcium and colonoscopy every 3 years. Prevention is the best medicine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Colonoscopy every 3 years for me because I always had a polyp in the colon. After reading on this board about the calcium I started taking it. My last colonoscopy showed no polyps at all for the first time. There are studies out that calcium helps to prevent colon cancer. I asked my doctor if the calcium could be the reason I had no polyp this time and he said it very well could be. So I'm sticking with the calcium and colonoscopy every 3 years. Prevention is the best medicine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.