Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to all, Does anyone know why your poo comes out the size of a pencil??? Wouldn't that be inflammation?? Does IBS cause inflammation? Oh, so much to learn!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Does not mean inflamation.IBS is not an inflammatory disease although there is some immune cell changes.Stool diameter has a lot of factors involved.How much bulk is in it, the consistancy (how much water is in it), how fast it gets to the outlet, how much it is compacted into thicker stool before you pass it, how your colon is moving it along, etc.K.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathleen, Is it safe to say that the faster the transit time is the thiner it is? What do you mean by immume cell changes?
Why do they say food and stress are triggers? I have not found what my triggers are. I even had a food diary for 3 months and found nothing. When my father passed away was one of the most stressfull times in my life, still things did not change.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When you look at a colon of someone with IBS you don't see the redness, swelling and ulceration you would see in an inflamatory bowel disease.You can take samples from the colon and find minor differences between some of the immune system cells that are normally in the gut when you compare IBS patients and normal controls.The immune system and the nervous system interact and it tends to be those sorts of things.Remember the body doesn't put things into the discrete categories humans like to use, so often things have more than one role even if we stuff them in one box or another.K.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again, That explains quite abit. Wouldn't it be nice if we could control our bodies and minds better. I find it very helpfull to understand the mechanics of the process. I'am so happy i found this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.