Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have suffered from IBS for nearlly two years now, and for the first I had no idea what was wrong and nor did the Doctors.Anyway, I have been suffering for a while and have recently started eating porridge for breakfast. I have found that this is very helpful and soothes the stomach, oats are very helpful with digestion. I find that having this as the first thing I eat every day stops most of my stomach upsets.Has anyone else here found porridge helpful?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yes soluble fiber (which is in oatmeal or what I think you all call porridge)has been known to help some IBS'ers.Glad it is helping you! Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've mentioned this several times in recent posts and I'm really glad it's helping somebody else the same way it's helping me.Got to say it's nowhere near to a cure and it needs to be eaten in smaller amounts,in my case anyway and not every day as it can bloat me but overall it's an excellent way to start the day.Soluble fibre needs to be promoted more and learnt by the medical profession who advocate a high fibre diet and not understanding the difference between soluble and non soluble.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did find the whole soluble fibre, insolube fibre did help me a lot, white bread, rice etc.. but I still had real problems eating any pasta, or porridge really caused me huge problems. Never really figured out why - although they do say that some people with a problem eating gluten can have a problem with oats as well but I was tested for gluten a couple of times and it never showed anything. Even now when things have been much improved with me for a while, both still cause me problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts