Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just found out that my wife tested positive for C. Difficile. Her original diagnosis was post-infectious IBS. She has been suffering for 4 months. Her symptoms were uncontrollable diarhea, abdominal cramping, fever and flu like symptoms. Finally we went to the doctor and told him we wanted tested for bacteria, etc. He did not check the box for C. Diff. When my wife took the stool sample in to the hospital, she explained what was going on with her and the lab technician said you need to be tested for everything including C. Diff. Thank GOD for someone who was willing to go the extra mile.She is on FLagyl, 500mg, 2x/day for 10 days. We don't know if this was the problem all along but we can't worry about that. We are looking to the future. I know we have a rough road ahead for the next 10 days, but it beats the hell out of the last 6 months. We also found out that you need to test for C. Diff at least 2-3x's because it is like Lymes Disease, it doesn't always show up in the first test. We consider this our Christmas miracle. We are looking forward to Christmas! I hope this may help someone else. Whatever you do, NEVER give up!

·
Registered
479 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Need Answers:We also found out that you need to test for C. Diff at least 2-3x's because it is like Lymes Disease, it doesn't always show up in the first test.
Wow. I didn't know that. My doctor didn't think to test me for C. Diff, but my mom remembered that a family friend who I spent some time with while he was ill was suffering from C. Diff, and so when she told me I asked my Dr. to run that test, too. It came back negative, but he didn't say anything about how that could happen... Hmm...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I suffered for almost two months with C-Dif. Eventually I ended up in the hospital because I was so weak and dehydrated. I am glad your wife got tested and is now being treated. A word of caution, Flagyl can have some weird side effects. Make sure your wife remains hydrated, is rested, eats a pretty bland diet (it's Christmas I know!) and consumes no alcohol. It took me a while to get back on my feet. Hope it goes well for your wife. She should be on the look out for it in the future as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the words of encouragement and information, especially on the high doses of probiotics. It is so nice to talk to people who understand and don't think you are making it all up. I will keep you posted on her progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need Answers, I went 9 months with undiagnosed c.diff. My doc said it was OK to be taking 7-8 Imodium a day and "as much" Levsin as you need. Finally went to a GI doc, they did one stool sample and there it was. I'm just adding this reply because as someone who suffered for almost a year and lost 13 pounds (117lbs, 5'9"), was homebound, and went to the bathroom 20-30 times a day, you should know that Flagyl does not always work. It is the first round treatment for c.dif but it's a very difficult drug to tolerate and has only a 50% success rate. The next drug is Vancocin and that cured me. Unfortunately, it is expensive so they make you go with Flagyl first. Just don't be too disappointed if she still tests positive after the Flagyl. Don't give up- you're on the right track! The other thing I would add that helped me enormously was taking probiotics. I drank Kefir which is a yummy yogurt drink that contains all kinds of good stuff (get it at Wild Oats etc.) and took Culturelle- the only clinically proven probiotic. Not to plug any brands here but antibiotics will kill everything in your wife's gut and she needs the good bacteria. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just to jump on the bandwagon:As I have been posting here for a long time - Everyone who is diagnosed with IBS needs to be tested for all the things that can cause IBS. It is simply a huge disgrace that the standard of care for IBS is to stop testing if the symptoms indicate IBS. Get tested for parasites, bacterial issues (stool culture), celiac disease (even if it is not in your family or community), and food allergies (IgG and IgE by ELISA methodology). It makes no sense to suffer when testing can identify the problem and enable you to overcome it. In this specific case the symptoms clearly exceed IBS - fever?!? Not an IBS symptom.Best of luck and find a new doctor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cathd80 - tahnks for the words of encouragment. I have ordered the Culturelle and she is seeing an acupuncturist who has his Master's in Herbal Medicine. He is strongly recommending the probiotics. She has been taking them during the Flagyl course. We hope this cures it, but we know it may not. Again, thanks to everyone and I hope this will be over soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts