Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was an article published by Time magazine recently; this article discussed third world countries and how diarrhea is one of the lead causes of death for children in these types of countries. It has killed 1.6 million children according to the World Health Organization. We all know the devastation of malaria and aids on these countries but diarrhea has always been overlooked. What the world community decided to do is provide zinc tablets which helps alleviate the symptoms of the D. "Zinc pills appear to halt diarrhea in its tracks" These zinc tablets have saved countless lives. Now could this also help individuals with IBS-D??? I don't see why not, it has potential.This article is very interesting and it gives us something to think about and and even try. I figured it was my obligation to spread this information.More information about zinc would also be appreciated. "A single course of zinc treatment apparently staves off further bouts of diarrhea for about three months""The article is in the December 7, 2009; Time; ( The Decade from Hell).........Wellness; The Miracle Minera; pg Wellness 1---Wellness 7

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Funny zinc seemed to make my gut worse.... I don't have any info on it in regards to D so maybe google it??

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Here is some technical info on how it helps with acute watery diarrheahttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1981923...p;ordinalpos=11It is being used in some countries to try to increase survival of acute and severe diarrhea.How much those mechanisms translate to IBS compared to your body fighting off a pathogen, I do not know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Even if it does stop the D it may not stop all the other symptoms that make IBS so awful. I currently take lots of fiber supplements which bulk up my stool and have basically stoped the D yet i still have the urgency, cramps, pains, discomforts etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts