Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in great distress right now! Lindsey has been having diahrea almost everyday, amhours, up to 5 hrs off and on) for over a month now. After a lot of mis-diagnosis this is the new one. If we just had a name for what she had we could cope. Has been taking Bentyl 20 mg 3x day for almost 1 wk now. What should we expect? She has had diahrea four out of six days, 1 day she did nothing and 1 day she had what seemed to be a normal BM. (This has happened before). Any positives would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Have you tried cutting out dairy product, greassy foods, wheat, all the things that could be a sign of allergies or food intolerance? Try increasing her fiber, it may not be easy to do with a kid with school and her friends eating stuff she cant have but it might pay off. I dont have anything else to advise except hang in there you are not alone with this stupid unpredictable condition.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, this poor kid has been on a diet of boiled potatos, carrots, rice, toast, bananas, gator ade, just recently a little boiled chicken and clear liquids for approximately one month constantly. Our latest blow is being told by the nurse pract. who prescribed the Bentyl to see a Pediatrician since the med. was not working or at least we are not sure it isn't working. She starts home schooling tom. but this is no life for a child!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a tough time she must be having. My thoughts and prayers are with her.I have been dealing with IBS-D for about two and a half months. For the last two weeks I have been taking Caltrate Plus and I no longer have the D. I am a bit C right now but I think with some adjustments to the dosage I will be able to straighten that out. I have also not done any adjustments to my diet yet as I am tracking everything I eat and my bodies reaction to it. This may be a start for your daughter.Take Care,HJ

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome to the board!You'll find lots of good advice and support here to help cope with IBS and the various stages we all go through. I am so sorry to hear about the D episodes she has been having. I remember being 13 and having IBS. I wanted to think about boys and all I could think of was getting myself to the bathroom. It was the worst time of my life.Bentyl is an anti-spasmotic, it probably won't help with the diarrhea but it should cut back on the pain and cramping associated with it. If it doesn't do that, please give Levsin SL a try. I couldn't stand bentyl, made me dry all over, dry skin, dry mouth, dry eyes, no fun! The levsin sl works awesome for the pain. I also take Imodium AD (over the counter anti-diarrheal) for the diarrhea (or Lomotil, which is a prescription med).I also use a few natural things, one is the Caltrate Plus mentioned above. It's in the purple and white box (they do make a chewable, it's in a peachy colored box). I take one 2x a day with food and it is so wonderful. I also take pancreatic enzymes. I had a big problem with my diarrhea being mostly undigested food (where you can't sit through a meal because the food has zoomed right through you and needs to get out now!). I have been NORMAL for 2 weeks now.check out this site as well, http://www.ibsgroup.org.[/URL] big hugs, it does get better some days!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carol. Where are you located? e-mail me at hypnomaven###usa.com. The research on hypnosis abd IBS us astounding. I have had great success in my practice, as have others throughout the country. I can forward the studies to you, and perhap refer you to someone in your area. Children have dynamic results with hypnosis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carol. Where are you located? e-mail me at hypnomaven###usa.net. The research on hypnosis abd IBS us astounding. I have had great success in my practice, as have others throughout the country. I can forward the studies to you, and perhap refer you to someone in your area. Children have dynamic results with hypnosis. SORRY I GAVE YOU THE WRONG E-MAIL ADDRESS IN THE LAST MESSAGE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts