Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I just registered here in hopes that I could find some more info regarding a current situation I am dealing with. I am going to try and summarize this as short as I can for better reading, but if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. No boundaries here, just ask away.Background - 6' 1" averaging now 155-160lbs. Always been able to eat large amounts of food & nothing ever disagreed with me. One of those guys that could put down massive amounts of food and have people look in shock.Before all this started I have made alot of good changes in my life. I quit smoking cold turkey after 15+ years, stopped consumption of coffee and caffeine & quit recreational drinking. I have been diagnosed with bi-polar for a few years now & along with these changes felt like me life was finally on the right track. Unfortunately I started smoking again a few weeks back & have been battling my issues once again.Ok, bout 4 months back I started experiencing mild abdominal pains. These pains were tolerable but annoying. After a few weeks the pain escalated to severe at times & consistently floated between 4-8's on a 10 scale. Then came the swelling which started as what looked like circular shaped bumps on both sides of abdomen just under belly button but 3-4 inches to each side of it. This seemed to effect my bladder as well. I was having difficulty starting, loss of flow, dribbling & frequent urination. I couldnt even sleep for a few days cause a night I would have to go every 10-15 min. I finally went to er due to swelling & severe pain. The doc feared colitis as he said I had a unusual amount of gas. A ct was done & found nothing bad but said I was constipated & they told me I had a start of an UTI. Sent me home with script & I returned 6 days later with no relief. They switched meds & sent home again. After a few days the bladder issues were better, but the pain and swelling got much worst. Also CBC was normal.The swelling increased & looked like a muscle starting from the round swelling mentioned earlier to a swelling that went up each side of ab muscles to what feels like under both ribs. My stomach was sensitive to clothing, walking & bending. All I could really do was sit still & hope for the best. I also started seeing lymph nodes on my right side. Went to a walk-in & was prescribed bentyl 20mg 4x daily. No help with this. I should also mention I have always had a very high tolerance to any meds. Go home try the meds for awhile with no relief. Go to a diff doc & he seems to think his words "you are developing muscles not many people get to see" Mind you I am a lean guy. Not comfy with that doc I went to a referred doc & a colonoscopy was ordered. Results came back fine, they found nothing in there. Was told to do a high fiber diet. I quickly learned how bad my tolerance was when they tried sedating me. I was given bout 7 of whatever those little viles were through the whole procedure with no effect but warmth. This was not pleasant as there was one spot he would push that was tender.Back to doc after a week & he says not sure what to do come back in 3 months. A few days later I called because the swelling & pain got worst. They got me in the same day for another CT and had to do the barium drink as well. Again came back fine this time showing significant constipation. Obviously I did not follow a prep for this & they got me in right away because I wasnt eating because I was afraid too. Talk to my doc & he now says he is at a loss & doesnt know what to do but send me as an outpatient to GI that did colonoscopy. I am still waiting on this appointment as we speak. I have had this weird feeling of pressure in my left armpit & it felt as if someone was constantly pushing in the center of my left palm. I have had alot of different feelings from this but those are my major concerns. Also just last night I had sauerkraut with sausage & potatoes & experienced bad pains and broke out in a rash on both sides of my back but worst on the left from shoulder to but cheek. This was just blotchy red. Also my lymph nodes were visible again. I also should mention that the swelling on most occasions is down in the morning then just gets worst through the day. I have not had a day yet in 3 months were the swelling did not show up. I should also mention that all doctors I have seen at one point told me it was stress & I believe the only reason was due to me being bi-polar.So in short 2 CT's 1 with barium, an x-ray & colonoscopy.Can someone chime in and give me any insight on this?Does this sound like it could be IBS-C?Does anyone else get swelling on both sides of ab from IBS?Is IBS-C very painful?Anyone ever see lymph nodes caused from IBS?Any info yall can share would be a major help. Thanks for reading & again got a ? just ask. I anticipate your reply's.Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS of any kind is painful. Pain and discomfort is a major symptom of IBS. IBS usually doesn't cause lymph nodes to swell up and usually bloating is more regional that just a small circular area (that sounds more like hives than IBS bloating).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The circle spots you mention wasnt from bloating. I get swelling there and it seems to get hard like a flexed muscle as the day progress's. I did not mention all my symptons just the ones of concern. I do get bloating however & it makes me look as if I am pregnant. At other times my stomach will be extremely hard and you can feel every detail in there like the washboard effect. I saw another post in here titled spasm? where they mentioned feeling a tube like structure which I feel as well at times. I can feel them on both sides not always the same time and the one on the left seems to go farther down towards my groin area than the right. I am wondering if this either the constipation part I am feeling or swelling of intestine which pushes out on my side ab muscles and has potentially causing the muscle rigidity or worst yet spasms or contractions. My doc is at a loss at the moment so I am just trying to learn and figure out anything I can. Also I am a lean guy so seeing some things such as lymph nodes may be easier for me. For example when I am bloated they tend to more noticeable around my groin area. Thank you for your response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts