Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this board. I had my gallbaldder out 2 years ago and I have been having problems since. Its like I'm still haveing attacks
I vomit till I deyhdrate and have to go to the ER for relief of that plus the horrible pain between the ribcage and the bellybutton. I can feel it comming on and I usually end up vomiting allnight long. My family dr finally sent me to a GI and had my appointment this past Tuesday. He is scheduling a endoscopy for July 2 to have a looksee. Does anybody have the same symptoms? This is miserable, I'm on summer vacation now for school, which is a God send(I missed alot of school last semester because of this, but still got on the deans list)It just seems like a living nightmare. Signed Confused.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your problems. That sounds so horrible! I don't know how you made it through school! I had endoscopy, but it was to look for a stone that was missed during gall bladder removal surgery. I never had the vomiting. Just alot of the pain you described.I wish you well and hope you feel better very soon!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I get this sometimes, I had mine out only 8 months ago. Usually I get that after eating Mexican food (oh and it's my favorite too!!
)! My surgeon told me that it's normal, he said it's kind of a "fake gallbladder attack" since it feels like it, but there's no gallbladder there. Christmas Eve I was very sick. Throwing up, D, pain where my gallbladder used to be. It was terrible. I ended up taking the pain killers I was on after my surgery for the pain, and a TON of antacid! It finally went away.But yours sounds much more sever. I hope they can find what is wrong, and hopefully it won't be serious. Let us know how you are okay?!Jennifer

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've had pretty much the same symptoms since I had my gallbladder out in 99 except for the vomiting. I wish I'd never had that surgery. I can't tolerate any fat practically and did not receive any instructions after surgery. Sometimes my pain is so bad I resort to vicodin and ultram which I hate to do. Just can't seem to accept the "it's just IBS" diagnosis. This is making me a real mental case!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just hope they find out whats wrong. Sometimes I wish I didn't have the gallbladder surgery. When I had mine taken out, I was so sick at the time, lost 13 lbs from from the attacks. The GI doc said something like maybe there is a stone stuck in the bile ducts or slug up there, or possibly liver problems(I hope not). The attacks come on every 2 weeks to a month of each other. Just hope that it gets figured out

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tech,HI! I'm glad that you went back to see your gi doc. I'm glad that you are finally going to get an answer to all of your troubles. Let me tell you what just very recently happened to me and maybe this may help you understand what MAY be your problem.I had my gallbladder removed three years ago and about two months I had been complaining to my gi doc and my right-sided pain very similiar to your pain. Well.. I have crohn's disease also. About 4 weeks ago I had a crohn's attack that put me in the hospital for 8 days. Two later(just two weeks ago this happened), I was vomiting and complaining of right-sided pain. I was dehydrated and my gi admitted me again. This time it was for my crohn's, but for the right sided pain. After doing blood tests, my gi and my surgeon came to the conclusion that what I had was stones in the common bile duct going into my pancreas. My gi rushed me up to the gi lab and removed the stones before it got into my pancreas. He told me that a person has the same symtoms as gallbladder disease, but since I had my gallbladder removed three years ago, it was obvious with my blood work that I had stones in the common bile duct.Now, I feel much better and don't have as much right sided pain as I used to. I take URSO everyday to help dissolve the stones.I hope that your gi finds out what your problem is, for that you could be feeling better.Thinking of you and let us know what your doctor says,Brandi

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brandi, thats really interesting. I didn't know that you could get gallstones after your gallbaldder is taken out. When my GI said maybe stones to me it took me by suprise. Did you have regural attacks after your gallbladder was taken out? Here lately mine get more frequent.Thanks,Heather

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can still produce stones without having a gallbladder. I had three stones stuck in the duct leading to the pancreas. I also had vomiting with these stones. No one told me that you could still get stones without a gallbladder either. Now I know better. I had the stones removed and feel better.....still have IBS, but you can't have everything! :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yep, I was tested a few months ago to make sure I didn't have a stone stuck in my ducts. I also had blood tests and an ultrasound to check out my liver. Everything looked good. Also they said on the ultrasound though that they saw a ton of scare tissue and adhesions from removing the gallbladder. Mine was in really bad shape. They said I will probably get some pain from that off and on. I'm glad I had mine out though, I wouldn't be here right now had I not!Jennifer

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tech,That was my first attack of stones in three years since my gallbladder was removed. I was surprised like hell when my doctor found those stones. The pain felt similiar to a gallbladder attack. I had the vomiting and was dehydrated. I'm glad that he found the source of my problem. Now I'm doing better and don't have that right sided pain anymore.Ronnie, You could email me anytime with your questions or if you just want to chat!Brandi

·
Registered
283 Posts
You REALLY hit on a sore spot for me (no pun intended!). I had my gallbladder out in March of 1999. I was absolutely shocked when I had the pain again six months later. I thought I was in a living nightmare. I thought I had gotten rid of that pain for good and was so mad and so sad when it happened again! An attack will usually last for 3 hours. During that time I wish I was dead because I can not stand the pain. Sometimes it comes with vomiting, sometimes not, sometimes shaking, sometimes not. It feels like someone put their fist right below my rib cage and is grabbing my guts in their fist! Sometimes 2 Tylenol #3's will help, sometimes....not.I have had an upper endoscopy, ultrasound, blood tests, and last but not least, an MRI of the common bile duct. The worst part is that they DO NOT BELIEVE ME! Several doctors at the office have told me I just need an antidepressant, that's all. In other words..."you're nuts lady"!AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH

·
Registered
255 Posts
An ERCP to look for bile duct stones should always be done by a doctor who has had extensive training and experience in this procedure. Done improperly or by an inexperience Dr, severe complications can occur.Also some pain in the area after GB surgery can be caused by SOD (Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction)..its kind of a sheath of muscles around the ducts. Its three major functions are the regulation of the bile flow(and pancreatic juice) into the duodenum; prevents reflux fo duodenal contents into the bile ducts and pancreas; promotes filling of gallbladder with bile. When all other tests reveal no cause for the 'phantom gallbladder' pains, SOD possibility should be looked into. Two of the possible causes of SOD could be when small stones are passed through the common bile duct and possibly from frequent pancreatitis.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds like there is more of this type of pain around. I'm glad that I'm not alone with this. It sounds like you all have had the same sympoms as me, sever pain, vomiting, fever. Its strange though sometimes I don't vomit with the attacks, just have the horrible pain.One thing that bothers me is that the doctors make you feel like your crazy and tell you its a virus...NOT. I'm sorry but a virus doesn't happen every 2 weeks and cause excrutiating pain that makes you feel like crawling in a hole and die. How do they remove stones in your bile duct and how do they treat slug?Thanks,Heather

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.