Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

New to this website but a long time sufferer of IBS-A. A few weeks ago I developed what I assume was a viral stomach flu (diarrhea and vomiting for a day). GI did CBC and stool studies (c diff, culture and giardia / cryptosporidium) all of which were normal. Since then been having what I can only assume is a terrible flare of my pre-existing IBS. The symptoms have been much worse than usual. I have some good days and some bad days but pretty consistently have stomach cramps, bloating and "gurgling". On good days my stools are "normal" (not diarrhea). Bad days consist of more pain, loss of appetite, nausea, constipation or loose stool and even some bad "urgency" (feeling like I have to sit on the toilet several times in an hour and intense lower abdominal cramping). The one symptom that has me concerned though is that last night I woke up in the middle of the night with cramps, bloating and had to have a loose BM. Had trouble falling back asleep due to persistent cramps and bloating. Called my GI today and we're going to schedule a colonoscopy but that won't be for a couple weeks.

Wondering if anyone else has had these types of nighttime symptoms? I'm assuming I'm just having a pretty severe post infectious flare of my IBS but the nighttime symptoms have me concerned. Have other people had this? Any ideas for symptom relief?

Thanks for any input.

Max

1 - 2 of 2 Posts