Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My symptoms only started about 4wks ago. My gangrenous appendicitis perforated 2 months ago. These cramps and different BMs are new, but they are an everyday thing! I am exhausted from the pain. I can not go 100 miles a minute the way I used to. When I get upset my symptoms get worse. Could this all have been triggered with my surgical episode. They have taken CAT Scans, and all "negative" to surgically related "complications". (i.e. no abcesses, infections, obstructions, etc). Yet, I am living with daily abdominal cramping and pain. Sometimes traveling down my legs, where all I could do is sit or lie down. Cannot stay standing long time. Please help me. What directions should my medical team take me to help me? Could this be IBS, and is NOW a forever thing?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
This may be similar to "post-infectious IBS" sort of issues.Your immune system unfortunately sometimes damages things like the nerves in the GI tract when it is fighting off an infection. This is not seen on any of the medical tests. Most drug development for IBS is focused on effecting the nerves of the GI tract as that vast neural net that controlls all aspects of digestion and is where pain is sensed seems to be where the problem is.Surgery is also reported as a trigger for IBS.Typical ways of treating IBS pain are antispasmodics and antidepressants. Various methods for training the mind to tell the gut nerves to "knock it off" can also be used. Hypnotherapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy are two of them.IBS is chronic, but may not be permanent. It can take a few years to calm down after a GI infection. Also most people find something that helps with the pain.K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Kath, You were incredibly informative. Thank you. I am having a colonoscopy (by coincidence) today. Truly of all the complications, IPS sounds to be a manageable one. Thank you for your counsel. It hurts so much less when people care. God Bless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.