Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any posters like Knottmus and others from the Carolinas have gone to The UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders?I like what I have read about their multi-disciplinary approach to the treatment of motility disorders and was wondering if anyone went there and had a positive experience.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I saw Dr. Drossman and felt utterly belittled and almost mocked. I saw another woman there after that and was treated much better.However, at some point they decided that my problem was with the anal sphintcer muscle being too tight (there is a term for this).... no matter how many times I said "when I need to go it just slides right out, the problem is how long it takes to get there", they couldn't see past that. Since they now had a reason for the C, I was pretty much dropped.At the time they had a study about using valium for the above mentioned condition, and because they needed people for the study, well, that's all they could see.Overall, I was rather disappointed.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYI They are having a patient symposium.A Symposium for Patients June 12th, 2004 Visiting Scientists The 2004 Patient Symposia will be held at the William and Ida Friday Center at UNC in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Registration forms have been mailed.If you are interested in attending , please email the Center for more information or register on-line. "Understanding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Other Gastrointestinal Disorders" a symposium for patients and the general public will be held on Saturday, June 12th. It will provide an opportunity to learn about diagnosis, tests, and treatment options of the disorder, explore the role of diet, nutrition, gender, and hormones on IBS, and understand the pain of IBS through cutting edge research on brain imaging. Attendees will acquire a set of tools for symptom management and explore the benefits of alternative treatments, as well as learn about other available resources. Participants will also have the opportunity to select a break out session most related to their symptoms, which will be facilitated by Center faculty. Agenda and for a printable registration form. http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/med...posium_main.htm

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Dee, I am posting this here, there is a lot of bad info on that thread."Eric? Isn't the UNC conducting a clinical trial looking at the effect of probiotics in the treatment of IBS,chronic diarrhea & functional bloating?I think a Dr. Y. Ringel was or is going to head up the study.Wait a minute.I found the UNC newsletter.It says on page 23 of the "Ask The Expert" colum that "Until such studies are performed the use of probiotics in the treatment of IBS should remain speculative & experimental".Now this is in the Winter 2003/2004 newsletter.Do you have any info as to whether they did do this experiment and it's outcome?Thanks. "I hope to be talking to DR Ringel soon, on all of these issues. I will let you know. I have had a hard time getting a hold of anyone there, DDW is coming up and they are working on Rome 3 and other things, but I will find out.I do know Dr Drossman wrote an excellent article in Gastroenterology on Dr Helping patients recently.If you want email me about it. My email is on my website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.