Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
metoo, I have heard of this before, but don't know much about it. I do have a friend who is a massage therapist and specializes in this kind of massage work. But thats about all I know on it. Hope it helps and you might try this. It may also take a while for the zelnorm to kick in, but don't know much about how long that drug takes to work. I would talk to my doctor on all this and I am sure you have asked questions from others in the 5ht4 forum, and they probably know more then I do about taking it.Good luck.
I will post her info first for you.MassageMassage and IBSby T.J. Ford, B.S., L.M.TSwedish massage is an excellent way to deal with the stresses that are caused by having a chronic condition such as IBS. As the body remains in a stressed condition over a long period of time, different chemicals can affect your overall health and well-being. Massage therapy has been shown to increase circulation of blood and nutrients, as well as "good" chemicals such as serotonin. And what better way to de-stress than with a massage? Also, the pain and discomfort that IBS can cause can result in the muscles of the body tightening up against the pain. This results in more discomfort from those tense muscles. Some muscles can get so tense that they cause pain in other areas of the body; specialized techniques such as trigger point therapy can help deal with those painful areas. Finally, Swedish massage strokes applied to the abdomen can help with constipation and irregular bowel function, by increasing circulation and nutrition to the digestive organs and helping to relax tight abdominal muscles.Craniosacral therapy and IBSCraniosacral therapy is a gentle yet profound type of massage that helps to balance the body's central nervous system. The fluid that bathes our brain and spinal cord, called cerebrospinal fluid, must be able to move freely within the body. However, restrictions in the body caused by pain, injuries, or stress can affect this flow, and in turn can affect the whole body. Specifically in the case of IBS, a particular nerve called the vagus nerve runs from the base of the brain down to the gut region. It may be that pressure on this nerve from some of these craniosacral restrictions may be a factor in IBS. Research has shown craniosacral therapy to be effective in treating colic in young children. The massage is done with the client fully clothed and lying on their back, and takes about an hour. Many people report a sense of deep relaxation during the treatment. Often significant relief can be felt after the first session, but many people wish to continue treatments until they reach their optimal level of health. Sacral nerve stimulation treats both constipation and fecalincontinenceNEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Resistant idiopathic constipation andfecal incontinence can both be treated effectively with permanentsacral nerve stimulation, according to two reports by a UK researchteam.In the first report in the July issue of the British Journal ofSurgery, Dr. M. A. Kamm and colleagues from St. Mark's Hospital,Harrow, describe outcomes in four women, 27 to 36 years of age,treated with temporary and then permanent sacral nerve stimulation.All the women had resistant idiopathic constipation with symptomduration of 8 to 32 years.During median followup of 8 months, bowel movement frequency increasedfrom 1-6 to 6-28 evacuations per 3 weeks, the researchers report.Evacuation scores improved from 4 to 1 at the longest followup time,as did time with abdominal pain from 98% to 12%. Quality of lifeimproved as well, they add.Dr. Kamm's team concludes that "permanent sacral nerve stimulationappears to be a beneficial treatment for patients with severe symptomsof intractable constipation that has not responded to conservativetreatments."They add that "this study, reporting the initial results in a smallgroup of patients, has shown that this technique may have futurepotential in an area in which current treatment is oftenunsatisfactory."In the second article, Dr. Kamm's group reports on the use of sacralnerve stimulation in 15 patients, 37 to 71 years of age, withincontinence to solid or liquid stool. Seven patients had obstetricinjury, four had scleroderma, two were idiopathic, one had fistulasurgery and one had a repaired rectal prolapse. Patients had beensymptomatic for from 2 to 15 years.At a median of 24 months of followup all patients experienced animprovement in continence, the researchers report. Eleven of thepatients were fully continent and the episodes of incontinence werereduced from an average of 11 per week to none with permanentstimulation.Urgency and the length of time able to defer improved from less than 1minute to a median of 8 minutes. Furthermore, social function and therole-physical of the SF36 improved significantly.Dr. Kamm and colleagues conclude that "this study has shown thatpatients resistant to maximal conventional treatment benefit fromsacral nerve stimulation and that this benefit is maintained in themedium term."They add that "the morbidity is substantially less than with othersurgical treatments and the percutaneous screening technique allowsprediction of success, before surgical implantation."Br J Surg 2002;89:882-888,896-901.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks Eric,This procedure is a surgical procedure that they inplant into the spine. It does not relate to massage therapy at all. It's kind of a metal/electrical stimulator that can be permanently implanted. It's a fairly big medical procedure, however, not as risky removing the colon.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Okay, I'm going to try this post again. I've been cut off quite a bit tonight. Not sure what the problem is. Anyone else having a problem staying on the board tonight? And the posts come up really slow. Or is it my server that's doing it?Eric,Sure wish I lived closer---I'd go to your massage therapist.
I need a good one. Mine left town and I haven't been able to find another one that massaged like she did. She really helped me a lot with the Fibro pain and migraines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.