Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im after some advice regarding potatoes please

I eat potatoes every day mashed withc cooked meal,with roast spuds,chicken & carrots

For extra fibre I consume two apples ,one in the morning,the second luch time. The cooked meal is late evening

Now for the gross part lol. My bowal movements are soft and very sticky/messy

Could the potatoes be causing the problem . Should I be having potatoes every other day?

Could the starch be causing the sticky stool ?

Thank you

·
Registered
34,954 Posts
Apples (raw and juice) as well as pears, cherries, peaches, plums, apricots have sorbitol in them. Sorbitol causes gas and diarrhea (pulls more water into the stool).

These fruits also often have excess fructose compared to the amount of glucose in them and that can also cause distress in IBSers.

Cooking the fruit does get rid of the sorbitol, but doesn't effect the fructose/glucose ratio.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you again for the help/

I have been reading about the FODMAP diet,im going to discuss it with my DR .

In regards to fruit,is there any fruit which keeps the stools soft and regular,but without the nasty side effects

Many thanks all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apples (raw and juice) as well as pears, cherries, peaches, plums, apricots have sorbitol in them. Sorbitol causes gas and diarrhea (pulls more water into the stool).

These fruits also often have excess fructose compared to the amount of glucose in them and that can also cause distress in IBSers.

Cooking the fruit does get rid of the sorbitol, but doesn't effect the fructose/glucose ratio.
Thank you for the information :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been reading Dr. Gundry keto book.
He is against eating Lectins that are found in different plants including potatoes.
Lectins are "toxins that plants produce to survive and shouldn't be eaten because of the many complications they cause, including inflammation, intestinal damage, and weight gain".
Lectins can be destroyed with high heat like pressure cooking in most foods except wheat.
Check him out, it may help you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts