Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice when I have baked potatoes, I feel increased bloating. Any reason, I thought potatoes were something we are supposed to have.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put Smart Balance Light Butter, however even when I don't use this it still gives me problems.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've heard to stay away from any food or drink that produces gas. Potatoes are supposedly on the top of that list (supprised me). I don't have a problem with things on the list, but the items that come to mind:potatoes, cucumbers, carbonated beverages, lettace, and beans. I can't think of the rest. Anyone know more?

·
Registered
482 Posts
potatoes were one of my worst triggers for over a year i couldnt even have anyhthing with traces in.... there gettin better thouhg now i cut the out 18months finally starting too tolerate them

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Potatoes have resistant starch in them which can feed bacteria in the colon. If you have gas producing bacteria in there they produce gas.Nutitionally they are in the starch category not the vegetable one, even though most of us think of them as a vegetable.I posted a link on gassy foods on another one of your recent threads.http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=50824 lists foods high in resistant starch.K.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Spinach seems to gas me up well too. Yes, I get gas from potatoes. All of the foods on the IBS diet give me gas... Lately it seems that if I have lean chicken breast and some cheese I'm okay... as soon as I add anything fibrous (soluble or insoluble) I'll be very gassy and will give me D.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Roo: Your reply reminded me of a book I read on Gastrointestinal Health. Throughout the book its says that milk is a no no. Then at the end of the book, it has a diet plan - yep you guessed it - milk every day! I think this BB is the most helpful info there is!Complements to everyone.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if this means I have bacteria overgrowth, or if bacteria is the issue since I always get problems with potatoes?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Potatoes are a member of the Nightshade family of vegetables along with bell peppers and tomatoes. Apparently some people can have problems with this family of veggies. I say apparently as I've read it in various books here and there but never really checked into it too deeply so best do some research yourself !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ditto with potatoes. Mashed are the worst. For some reason I can eat french fries w/o much pain, but mashed potatoes double me over. And it's not what I put in them, it's definitely the potatoes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts