Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,We got the lab result on the Polyp that was removed during the Colonoscopy.It's pre-cancerous.So what to do from here.Here's the scoop and any thoughts on all or part of this whole situation are most welcome.So update: Bloody Bloody runs like a faucetBlood with BM's.Go to ER. ER sends him home.A few days later,pale and disoriented and feelin light headed.....off to the ER again.Gastro guy to does the Colonoscopy early.Everyone said.......there are no other symptoms.It's JUST Blood.aside: ya know, I'm begenning to hate that "JUST"word.Anyway, blood after the colonoscopy. Sundaylittle bits.Gastroenetologist says....if bleeding continues we will go further up to see where the blood is.Gastroenterologist was not convinced that All that JUST Blood might be coming from the polyp and the swollen hemorroidal condition.Next day.....more blood.MondayBy the afternoon blood is back to where it had been the previous Tuesday.Gastroenterologist says give 3 steriod Suppositories every day and drink metamucil.Take until next appointment Oct 14.More blood. Gastroenterologist says keep taking steroid suppositories.Gastroenterologist changes his mind.Not going to look further up.Going to focus on the swollen varicose veins.Says wait and see and then Call the Colon man totake care of the vascular stuff.My husbands lower back now icky achy.Husbands upper back now icky achy.Husbands wholebody now icky achy despite long body work session, essential oils and hot pack.Bleeding stops.Husband needs to fly OOT on Friday.Calls Gastroenterologist for anti-spasm meds.Gastroenterologist says lower back pain unrelated.(Right...queen of the achy bowel says from the sidelines)Gastroenterologist says talk to the Internal Meddoctor about pain needs. And come back in two years to check on that Pre Cancer thing.And by the way no more red meat(agree... duh....)Anoyed wife (that would be me) says we're outta here. It's been real interesting but I'm done.Husband(never has been real sick)in tilt zone of Doctor Land.So group......what do you think?All thoughts are greatly appreciated.I mean....HELP!!!!!Kamie

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Techchick, Thanks for your thoughts. I am going to call the Internal Medicine Doctor tomorrow.My husband has been contemplative all evening.He wants me to now start looking for the second opinion.Thank goodness.So I'm going to do some checking.Thanks again,Kamie

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kamie - I agree - a "pre-cancerous" polyp needs dealing with - I would get a second opinion. Let us know how things go along - I'll be thinking of you and praying for the best result,best wishes,Ama

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I can sure use all the prayers and energy help we can get.Thanks. Knowing the hope and help are out there does so much to take a breath and go to work finding new answers.It's horribly frustrating.The gastrenterologist office called today and they say we have an appointment set for monday.We're going to cancel.The Internal Medicine doctor will see us tomorrow morning.It's good that my husband and I see the same doctor because after the gynecology visit this week we have decided that two heads are better than one in the exam room.As of today my husband has decided that he will totally join me on eliminating sources of soy in his diet too.He's been helping me on my food stuff but he'llnot be as careful as I am about no salad dressing on the restaurant salad etc.....A pre Cancer reality with a terrible family history just makes one think differently. My husbands father had a similar bleed conditionbut he was 60 when he got the bleed and his polyps didn't return pre cancer.My husband is in his 30'sAdditionally my husbands grand father died of leukemia and according to his Dad cancer runs lousy through the males in that side of the family.So thanks again.There is much help in prayers and knowing support is there.Kamie

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A couple of thoughts on the precancerous polyp.He will need to be scoped fairly regularly to remove polyps as they develop. Basically once you have one, you gotta keep an eye out for more.Cruciferous veggies may be something he wants to think about eating much more often. People who eat diets high in these veggies overall have much less colon cancer. So cabbage, brocolli, etc. (I helped on a diet study where we measured some biomarkers trying to understand how this may help).With meats, and this is all meats, not just red meats. You may want to give up cooking them at high temperatures. When meat, any meat, is seared that nice crunchy black stuff is loaded with potential carcinogens. Chicken breasts do this to, not just steak. Cooking at lower temperatures, slower and marinating meats before cooking can help limit the production of heterocyclic amines (the chemical produced when meat is cooked at high temps). Sauces and gravies made from pan drippings are also very high in heterocyclic amines.Eating 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day with 3 servings a week being the cabbage family veggies is the general recommendation for dietary prevention of cancer.Drinking Tea may also be helpful overall.Generally foods are better sources than pills because some of what is in the foods are not in the vitamin pills/extracts.Once the bleeding is under control completely you may also want to talk to the doctor about trying a baby asprin every day.Calcium supplements (this is the one supplement rather than just foods that I might tend to recommend) may also tend to prevent the producting of polyps down the road.HTHK.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My grandmother had a few precancerous polyps removed. The doctor didn't do anything special the only thing he did say was that rather than her usual once a year colonoscopy she'd have to go every 6 months. Her mother had colon cancer and my aunt(her daughter) died from it.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We went to the Internal Med Doctor today and she was not real comfortable with the steroids for so long.Because Mr Kamie has to do an airplane trip for a few days the doctor told him to stay on the steroid suppository and then taper off and see if we get bleeding again.When this whole bleeding thing started the Internal Med Doctor did her own blood work before we went over to the Gastrointerologists office.From that blood work she says a lot of things look good and that right now there is no concern for Leukemia.She's thinking too maybe a second opinion in the gastroenterology department might be a good idea.She also gave him some general pain meds so he would be more comfortable on the trip.So I guess we have a band aid layer again but that's Okay because these little steps take us to the place of resolve.At least this feels like a tiny step forward.Karen- I suppose I might have felt better about the Gastroenterologist if he had specified another colonoscopy in a shorter amount of timelike your grand mother's doctor did.With this 2 year stuff it just feels so loose ended.While I know he would get up and do something if my husband started bleeding again, I just don't feel settled.Mr.Kamie is still really tired and not quite himself so I don't know what to do with that.Like they keep saying....his vitals look good.We discussed this with the Internal Med doctor and we all agree it could be stress and maybe being tired from being in pain, so it's something she wants to keep an eye on and see how he feels with a little pain relief and go from there.K - On the food and eating area we have a pretty good whole foods diet. Well I do anyway.He was eating more red meat than he knew he should and he admitted that he's just been a little too indulgent in that department.Because of my fussy constitution he gets forced to eat better but then there's always that breakfast at I-Hop with the sausage..................There's no accounting for what they do when theyare out having those panfried feasts.Some men sneak off and go to the Bar.My husband sneaks off to go to I-Hop.I think it's an addiction.Like all addictions, eventually they come to no good.No more panfry for Mister.Gosh, I'd hate to think this low energy of his might be panfry withdrawl.Would that be possible?The Internal Med Doctor mentioned Calcium suppliments too.We didn't go into that at any length because we had lots of other stuff to talk about.So what is it specifically about the calcium that helps to prevent polyps?Mr. Kamie loves broccli. He eats mostly spinach and broccoli and salads for his greens.He likes salads with chicken and fish tossed in so I guess we have to be more careful there.So now it is off for another doctor search.Thanks everyone. For the support.Sometimes it just gets really scary.Kamie

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The theory is that calcium tends to bind onto all sorts of other chemicals making them insoluble and basically not very able to be toxic to anything anymore. So it may be binding up the Heterocyclic amines and other nasties in the stool and what is an insoluble precipitate isn't able to get into the cells and muck with the DNA.K.

G

·
As many of you know, I had a cancerous polyp removed last Spring. When I went into the hospital to have it removed (it was a flat polyp and they couldnt remove it with a cautery snare during colonoscopy) it was said to be a pre cancerous polyp..no problem. I had NO symptoms. I had constipation, but I had had that most all of my life. Anyway....I had a foot of my colon removed along with the polyp..the pathology report showed that it had some cancer in it after all....BINGO...instant cancer statistic. Surgeon told me that only about 5% of colon cancer cases are due to environmental causes such as diet or pollution. That leave 95% being caused by genetics....this from one of the top colorectal surgeons in the country.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
willie, thanks sso very much for the information you gave.That was EXACTLY the kind of information I have been looking for and can't seem to get any verification either way.It's so very frustrating to have ones questions avoided or simply answered with a bunch of run around scientific medicine garble from the professionals.I feel like saysing just the facts sir/mamin plain english,plain enough for even an air head like me to understand.When we found out both cancer and leukemia run in Mr. Kamie's male side og the family we persented that information and we could have just as well said "dogs bark at full moons" for all the response we got.I am so very tired of being dissed and other wise talked down to and told that my concerns andopinions are not important.As of yesterday I found another gastroenterologist.Unfortunately we can't get in till early November.They wanted him to come today but he has to be out of town till Monday evening so we had to go with the first November appointment.However, that might be a good thing because he should be done with the steroids by then and it may be a better time to see what his body will do without the steroids.Although his vital signs still "look good"Mr. Kamie is so vey tired.Just not himself these days.Oh, I know, everyone will probably say it's all in his head at this point.I almost feel like just canceling the gastro appointment.I know exactly why he didn't want to go to the hospital that weekend he had the colonoscopy.One gets real tired of constantly being dismissed.I guess the worst of it is when one has an opinion based on personal observation and expereince the professional know it all sits back to think of 20 ways as to how ones observations and thoughts are meaningless.It's like you want to say....excuse me....but were you there? Did you experience this in your body? AT LEAST LOOK IN THE TOILET FOR GOODNESS SAKES IF YOU DON"T BELIEVE ME!!!!!!HERE, I BROUGHT THE BLODDY MESS IT IN A CARTON SO YOU CAN SCIENTIFFICALLY MEASURE IT!!!!Opinions. Medical Opinions. Scientific opinions!They are like certain parts of the anatomy.And everyone has one of those.But we can only hope those OPINIONS of the great and knowlegable poobaahs of ancient and mysteriousknowlege could only be ever so slightly tinged with the least bit of kind consideration for apparent concern.Thanks Again. Your post was extremely extremely helpful. I needed that statistic on the genetics.Kamie

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hi, I've had two pre-C polyps removed myself, on two separate occasions. I now will have colonoscopies at least every three years of my life. That's about it. I have colon cancer in my family, so I have a predisposition for growing polyps. I feel that my predisposition was the strongest factor for the polyps but that certain other factors could have triggered an early development of polyps (instead of in old age). At least with colonoscopies, there is the ability to stop colon cancer before it begins. That's the good news.Yes, eat well, lots of veggies, etc. Calcium may also reduce the risk some. Above all, though, have regular screenings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.