Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am scheduled for FMT treatment at Newbery clinic beginning next Monday.

They do things a little bit differently and instead of doing a colon cleanse prior to implants, they prescribe prednisone to try to settle things down before treatment.

I'm supposed to take 20mg prednisone 1x/day from now and through next week but that seems like a high dose. I think from what I've read that the biggest issue is not going to be taking it, but weaning off it later. I really am tired of starting medications that later I need to get off of and then it causing me a flare up in symptoms.

I could just try a smaller dose or something so it's less shocking to my body to get off of.

I also am struggling with the diet they recommended. I have been eating meat and bread only for the past few years and tried to add boiled and peeled squashes into my diet this week as they recommended but that ended with completely liquid and explosive stools. I guess I will just keep eating meat and bread until I get to the clinic and then see if I can get the bacteria fed with the recommended foods.

Definitely thinking of trying kratom once I get back but I am holding onto the smallest hope that the FMT will really help me.

I realize I didn't ask a clear question here...just fishing for opinions or experiences with prednisone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've only had that once after throwing out my back and this was before i had IBS,so no symptoms along those line.

Would you let us know about the FMT and give us follow ups?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, i think the same as dekka. They are doctors and they certainly don't do it without any reason... Just take the drog and do what they said to you. So you will have nothing to hold against you.

Maybe, it would be interresting to do a colon irrigation clean few days before ? as an addition...

I suspect them to not doing it because they just don't want :)

·
Community Manager
13,181 Posts
on two different occasions i've been prescribed 20 mg prednisone once a day for five days with no taper. the first time, i was concerned that there was no taper and asked my pharmacist about it and he said that for that short of a time, you don't need a taper. he was right. i didn't have any problems taking it like that.

the pharmacist did say to take it early in the morning to avoid any trouble sleeping.

good luck with your FMT, mellosphere. keep us posted
smile.png

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am curious how the prednisone is going? I have heard stories of remission of IBS but also stories of it worsening it.

Also you might want to ask what the diet after the FMT is going to be too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts